Chapter 40

Chapter 40

With Him, She's Finally Home

Anger drives people to do things for them to be able to get even with the person who hurts them... That's what I did. I made a decision to hurt Nika so that I could get even... but why was it hurting me just the same?

It's been two days. Dalawang araw ng wala si Nika dito sa ospital. When I said those words that tasted so bitter on my tongue, I was expecting her to defend herself. But she didn't.

Her lips just parted as she looked at me... I didn't see anger and disappointment in her eyes. All I saw there was an apology.... Apology for hurting me and for turning me into something like this.

"It's okay, Alcantara... You can say something. You can defend yourself," Tito Mael urged her because he wanted to be fair and square. He wanted to give the victim a voice just like he gave the abuser a voice, and me—the liar.

I looked at Nika, a bitter smile drew across her lips before she tilted her head to face Dr. Clavel once again. "There's nothing to defend, sir... you heard her," Her voice was low and firm but the tears kept on falling from her eyes.

"That's not what you were insisting a few minutes ago, Miss Alcantara. You said that Dr. Vargas tried to harass you." Dr. Clavel said.

"I lied. I was the one who threatened Dr. Vargas." She said, making my eyes grow wide as I looked at her, anticipating to look back at me.

"Why would you do such a thing?"

Nika absentmindedly shrugged. "I needed money, I have a daughter that I'm raising on my own. He's rich and I thought I could blackmail him but it turns out that he's loyal to his wife." She stated in a stoic expression.

"I'm sorry for causing such commotion, chief. I will accept whatever the consequences of my actions." She added.

Dr. Clavel's jaw clenched. Dr. Vargas was grinning like a disgusting man he was! And I'm as disgusting as him now!

"Dr. Clavel, Dr. Vargas, and Dr. Sison, maari na kayong lumabas. I would like to discuss things with Alcantara alone..." Dr. Clavel dismissed.

Kaagad na tumayo si Vargas mula sa kinauupuan niya si Dr. Sison ay tumalikod na rin upang humakbang palabas ngunit ako ay nanatili pa rin sa kinauupuan ko habang lumuluhang nakatingin kay Nika.

She gave me a faint smile. "Sige na..." She urged me in an almost inaudible voice.

I felt my heart ripped into two as I stared at her. This is not me... These are not the things that my heart was telling me to do. Hindi ako ganito... I was taught to never pull women down.

"C-Chief—" Before I could even speak to my uncle and take back what I've said, I felt a hand wrapping around my arm.

"Tara na, Dr. Clavel." Matigas na sabi ni Vargas at pwershan akong pinatayo mula sa kinauupuan ko. I was about to open my mouth for a protest but Nika eyed me, slightly shaking her head causing me to back down. I had no choice but to let Vargas drag me out of the room as I looked at Nika while I felt my heart ripping into two.

Reality pulled me in the moment I realized that Megi was standing in front of me, hugging her chart on her chest. She was with Dr. Ramirez. Both of them were looking at me, coldly. My mouth parted and before I could even let my words out, Dr. Ramirez cut me off.

"Will you please excuse us? May pasyente pa kami." Malamig nitong sabi sa akin. Awtomatiko akong tumabi sa kanilang dinadaanan.

I looked at Megi, waiting for her to look at me too but she didn't. Parang mas gusto ko pa iyong mga pag-irap niya at ang mga masasamang tingin niya sa akin kaysa sa ganito.