BONUS 4 | Boulevard

B O N U S  4
Boulevard

David Williams didn't care.

Whether it be feelings, opinions, or people in general—he didn't give a single fuck about anything.

It seemed to be almost natural to care. About your image, how people perceived you, whether you were liked or not, or if those you surround yourself with truly enjoyed your company.

But David never did. It was always about fun and games to him, making the best out of even the worst situations he was thrown into. Arlin Prep and the gossip that came with it never bothered him the way it bothered others. It was entertaining, even when the weirdest things were said about him.

Letting other people's words and actions dictate how you felt would destroy you, and then you'd be granting someone else that power over you, allowing them to control how you felt.

David didn't like that. He didn't like knowing someone or something had that kind of hold over him. And so he refused to allow that to happen.

Or he at least tried not to.

With all his annoyance at attachments, feelings, and caring, it was hard for him to lay there and pretend he truly was some heartless creature that didn't care about a thing in the world.

Sure, he was heartless to an extent, and didn't truly care for much, but there were a few things and people that had managed to worm their way to importance in David's life.

And the most dangerous of them all, the one who he absolutely refused to allow to hold any more power over him than she already did, was right beside him.

One glance in her direction, and it was like the ice around his heart melted. It always did for her.

Malia Carrington was nothing short of perfection, especially as the sunlight peeked through the not fully closed blinds, casting a glow around her naked body that was barely shielded beneath the thin sheets.

Somehow, she looked even more beautiful than usual—as if that was possible. But there was something about this side of her, the one that looked peaceful and calm as she slept, that brought another level to her beauty. David was so used to her guarded looks—to that frown, that glare, and even that teasing smirk—that seeing her relaxed had him thrown for a second.

The pull towards her, the urging he'd always had to be around her, grew stronger, and that was when he had to force himself to look away.

He swung his eyes to the ceiling, refraining from sighing in frustration at himself. He couldn't afford to wake her, and then watch as that calmness she had washed away the second she laid eyes on him.

But laying there was driving him crazy. He wanted nothing more than to turn over, toss his arm around her, and pull her closer.

David knew he couldn't reach out for her. He'd sworn long ago to never let Malia back into his heart, both for his own good and hers. It wasn't like she had wanted a spot there, anyway.

He quickly got off the bed and slid his boxers on, gathering the rest of his belongings in one hand. He spared one last look toward Malia, watching as she shifted in the bed before hugging the pillow David's head had rested on seconds ago closer to her, eyes never opening.