Chapter 10

Daniel's pov

Within a week layla was going to move into the apartment. We did all the legal stuff and she signed a contract to have the apartment for a year.

That night I went to meet Caleb again. He asked me what was going on and I told him all about layla moving next door and stuff.

'So how much rent are you taking from her?' he asked me while drinking water. 'About a thousand dollars.' i told him. He choked on his water a little bit.

'Dude, relax.' I told trying to help him while he was coughing. 'You..... Your building which is right in the heart of the city with the best security systems, a doorman, elevator, where every flat is painted with the most expensive paint, the floors are made out of marble. Everybody living over there on rent is paying atleast ten to fifteen thousand dollars, sometimes even more than that, and you are asking her for a thousand dollars monthly. You, a ruthless businessman, heir of the one of the biggest companies in the whole world, who calculates every single penny, you are asking her for only a thousand dollars and letting her stay next door? God.' He said. 

'Are you sure there is nothing going on between you two?' He asked me. I closed my eyes in frustration.

'No! Why do you keep saying that?!' I said. 'I am not wired for relationships and stuff. You know that and I know that.' I told him.

'Then why are you letting her stay at such a low price. Just because she is your friend and a nice person?' he asked. 'My parents think of her as their own daughter. As a family member.' I told him. 'And you want to turn it true and put a ring on it?' he asked raising his eyebrows. 'Dude, stop.' I said giving him a warning. 'Okay.' He said chuckling.

We talked some more and then I went home. I relaxed a little bit and then went to sleep in my bed.

As a laid down I couldn't help but feel excited that layla was moving in next door. 

Why was I excited? I don't know but am I happy with this new feeling? I would definitely say a yes.

One week later
I was coming back home from work when I saw boxes outside the door and the door of the next door apartment open. Layla was here. I smiled and stood at entrance and saw her sorting through the boxes.

I knocked and asked, 'Need any help?' she looked up in surprise and then saw me. She smiled and said, 'No. Not really. I will manage. Come in!' she said.

'I recently got it painted once again because you were moving in. I hope you like it.' I said to her. 'I really like it
This is for the first time that I am having such a friendly landlord.' she said chuckling.

'Can I ask you something?' she said. 'Go ahead.' I replied. 'This rent for this place is just 1000$?. I am willing to pay more. ' she said. . 'Of course. Why would I lie to you?' I replied.

'Well, here are the checks for the next eleven months with the dates and signatures on it and I have transferred the deposit to your account.' she said handing me over a white envelope.

'Okay. That it then. Welcome home layla. The keys are officially yours now.'I said to her. 'Thank you sir.' she said.

'Once again sir?' I asked her raising my eyebrows. 'Well you are my landlord now as well.' she replied. 'No, I am your neighbour now.' I said to her smiling and she chuckled.

'Do you have any plans for dinner now?' I asked her. 'Yeah, well, I am ordering takeout.' she replied.

'Why are you doing that. We have my penthouse. You can have dinner with me.' I suggested.

'I have already taken a lot of help from you.' she replied. I really was looking forward to having dinner with her.

'Fine. No problem. See you tomorrow. Neighbour.' I said.

'Of course.' she replied and I raised my eyebrows. 'Neighbour.' she completed.

I laughed and we said our goodbyes.

I went in my house and closed the door. I took a shower and sat on my couch to unwind a little bit. I closed my eyes and was relaxing when my bell rang.

I opened the door and saw layla standing there. 'Is your phone switched off?' she asked me in a tensed voice.

'Yeah, maybe. What happened?' I asked her.

'We need to leave, now.' she said. 'Yeah. But where?' I asked her.

'Uncle Robert has been admitted in the hospital .' she said in a quiet voice.

What the hell?