Chapter Eighteen

"What are you doing here Leanne?" Leigh said with her voice on the verge of breaking due to the anger she was feeling deep inside. She'd wanted to get home and spend the evening in peace but now that wasn't likely. Her mother had turned up unannounced- like most things she did- and her presence had dampened Leigh's mood. If her mother had insisted on visiting her she wished it had been another day as the content feeling she was experiencing after her pleasant, friendly conversation with Brett was now long gone.

"I have every right to be here, I'm your mother."

"You lost that right when you kicked me out because you were threatened by my success. Now that's said..." Leigh stepped to the side and held her hand out in the direction of the door. "See you in another five years."

"Oh honey, I'm not finished yet," Leanne said as she placed her handbag on top of the table ever so carefully and then sat down on the couch. She crossed one tanned leg over the other and turned her attention to Ali. "We have a lot to talk about," she said implying that she should leave. Ali nodded and quickly glanced at her roommate.

"This is her apartment just as much as it is mine. Whatever you have to say to me you can say in front of her," Leigh told her mother as she stood her ground. There was no way she would allow her friend to get bullied out of their shared apartment by a woman who had no business being there in the first place. "What are you doing here?" She repeated.

"Shouldn't you be asking me how I'm here? Especially after you refused to send me your address."

Leigh shook her head. "I don't care how you're here or how you found me because I know you. I know exactly how you found me and I can honestly say that I couldn't care less. I just want to why the fuck you're here?" Leigh swore showing a different side to herself that rarely ever came out. Her mother brought out the worst in her and there was no way she could go back to being her usual self while the manipulative woman she had to call her mother was anywhere near Oak View and her new life.

"Robert told me where you moved to," she said ignoring the fact that her daughter didn't want to know the details. "I've got to say Leigh, I'm surprised you've been here for this long. And working at that dirty farm shop... I'm shocked.You never were any good at getting your hands dirty and you were definitely allergic to hard work."

"Don't come here and insult me in my home-"

"You call this tiny apartment home?" Leanne scoffed as she looked around.

Leigh shook her head in disbelief. "You have no right to insult me and pass judgement. You know nothing about me and you never did. What kind of mother does that make you, huh?"

As Leanne's eyes bore into her daughters there was something behind them, it was an emotion Leigh had never seen from her mother. Her eyes began to water but she quickly wiped it away using her scarf. Was it real emotion? After all, her mother was an actress and a damn good one so Leigh didn't know what this was that she was experiencing first hand. She only ever knew her mother to be judgemental and rude, that was the only time she was genuine.

"I'm sorry," she whispered catching both Ali and Leigh by surprise.

"You're not sorry."

She gulped. "I know a single word can't change the way that I've acted for twenty-nine years but I'm trying to change. I'm about to lose everything and I don't want to lose you too."

Leigh had so many questions that she didn't know where to start. What did her Leanne mean when she said she was about to lose everything? She wanted to scream that she'd already lost everything she ever had to do with Leigh but held herself together. What did she mean when she said she was sorry? Usually she said sorry when she wanted something but this time felt strangely different. There was an emotion that Leigh hadn't seen from her mother before and it enticed her to want to know more but she was afraid of what she would hear.