🥀

" I am going to ask Heather to prom... I think I will ask her out to be my girlfriend, " Jonah declared one day, it wasn't out of the blue. I knew it was coming.

Yet nothing could have prepared me to hear him say those words...

Nothing could numb the pang in my heart, the lump in my throat.

I felt uneasy. Pain engulfing me, the new possibilities, the future mocking me.

" I am sure Heather would say yes, " I said. Who wouldn't say yes to you Jonah?

" You think so?" He smiled.

" I know so, " I told him.

" Should I do it now?" He asked looking over at Heather. She was sitting with her friends, laughing.

Jonah was looking at her with so much adoration. It was hard to look at him like that. All those raw emotions, for her.

She's got him mesmerized while I die...

Is this what I look like when I am watching Jonah?

" No time like now, " I told him.

" Okay... I am just gonna go there and ask her, like right now  " he laughed.

I could feel his excitement.

" All the best, " I took his hands in mine and rubbed my thumb over his wrist.

Maybe this will be the last time I will be calming him like this...

He grinned and ruffled my hair.

Maybe this is gonna be the last time he does that too...

I walked out of the lunch hall, I wasn't going to sit there and watch Jonah and Heather fall in love.

I wasn't strong enough for that.

I went inside an empty stall in the washroom and I looked at my hands, the same hands that were holding Jonah's moments ago.

Then the tears came, it came and came and came until I was drowning in them.

It felt like it wasn't ever going to stop.

🍂🍂

I want to reach in the book and hug Cy... 😭😭