thirty four

I continued to set up Jack's new bedroom in Aaron's apartment, staying quiet to make sure Strauss couldn't hear me from the other room. 

The rest of the team had been on a case, but I stayed behind, knowing Aaron could use all the help he could get. I sat on the bed and examined the room, trying to see what else needed to be done. I then heard a door close, making me get up. I left the bedroom and saw Jack playing with his toys on the wooden table, and I glanced over at Aaron. 

He was standing next to the door, his hand still on the knob. I raised an eyebrow, walking closer to him. Putting a hand on his arm, I spoke up, "What happened?" I asked. He didn't look at me for a moment, 

"Strauss is giving me the option to retire" I narrowed my eyes at his shocking statement, tilting my head a little. 

"Are you going to take it?" He shook his head, 

"I don't know" He replied. 

I knew he wouldn't, he couldn't live without his team. It was who he was, putting the bad guys away was his passion. I nodded, "That's okay, you don't have to know yet" He examined my face, and then he hugged me. 

Wrapping my arms around him as well, he said, "Thank you" I let a small smile slip onto my face, 

"Of course, Aaron" He let go of me, and I turned to eye Jack. My grin only grew as he looked at eye, "Who wants me to get ice cream for after dinner?" Jack's face lit up, and he clapped his hands together. 

"Me!" He yelled, and Aaron let out a small laugh. 

"Awesome, I'll go shopping right now! I heard Aunt Jessica's coming over for dinner, it'll be fun" I grabbed my keys, and Aaron looked down at me. 

I was about to kiss him, but I remembered his son was staring at us. I patted his chest, opening the door and walking out. 

Things between Aaron and I had been a little weird, but I wasn't too surprised. He'd been distant, quiet and sad. I understood, I would be miserable too. But I would sleep at Spencer's at night now, I had to still watch over both of them. Spencer was two months clean now, but I wasn't taking any chances. 

I walked down the long staircase to exit the building, unlocking my car. 

I was still nervous, about everything. Aaron being distant, yet dependent. It was strange, I couldn't put my finger on what was going on with him. 

000

I rummaged through my bag for my keys, unlocking Aaron's front door. I was about to call out to everyone, but the loud talking stopped me. 

"Jessica, I don't understand why you're so angry" 

"Because, Aaron! Your ex wife, my sister, is dead! And now you have Veronica here every day helping you watch over your child almost like a replacement? Is she your girlfriend?" 

There was silence for a moment, "No, it isn't like that. She doesn't mean half as much to me as Haley did" I almost dropped the bags on the floor, tears welling in my eyes. "She's just support for Jack, he loves her" I bit my lip so I wouldn't make noise. I was about to walk out, but I felt someone grab my  hand. 

I looked down, seeing a smiling Jack. I put my pointer finger to my lips, indicating to him to be quiet. I kneeled down a little, trying to shoot him a fake smile. "Hey, sweetheart" I wiped my tears, "I got you the ice cream, and some other snacks you'll like. I have to go, but I'll put these on the table for you. Don't tell daddy I was here yet, okay?" He nodded, and I placed the bags on the table quietly. I kissed the top of the boys head. 

"Can you come tomorrow?" I examined him for a moment, trying to think of something, anything. 

"Maybe" I nodded, and then he hugged me. I squeezed him a little, and then I got up. I shut the door behind me, and once I did, I started to sob. I covered my mouth, shutting my eyes to try and delay the crying. I fumbled around my bag, pulling my phone out. I dialed a number, pressing the phone to my ear. 

After a moment, someone spoke. "V?" I choked up, 

"Hey, Garcia" I started, "Can I... Can I come into the office?" 

"Veronica? Are you crying?" I nodded, and I let out a nervous laugh, 

"I..." I was going to lie, but I didn't want to, "Yeah. Yeah, something happened" I admitted. I heard her typing stop, 

"Meet me here, okay?" I agreed with a small hum, hanging up on her. 

000

After a while I made it to the headquarters, and only seconds after I walked inside, Garcia was standing there. Her eyes went wide, and I looked at her for a moment. I was about to smile at her, but I couldn't. Instead, I broke down crying again. She rushed over to me, wrapping her arms around me. I nuzzled my face into her neck, "Angel, what happened?" She asked me, stroking my hair. I shook my head. 

"He doesn't care about me. He doesn't..." I sobbed, not being able to finish my sentence. There were no words spoken for a moment, "Aaron, he told her I was just support. That he was only keeping me around because Jack loved me" She shook her head, 

"He said that?" I nodded, "Sweetie, I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry..." 

Yeah, I was too. 

And on the opposite side of the city, Aaron walked out of his bedroom, his sons aunt following close behind. He examined the scene, seeing Jack rummaging through a shopping back. He raised an eyebrow in confusion, 

"Jack, what are those?" Jack looked up at him, and then back at the goodies. 

"Ronnie dropped them off, but she looked sad. She had to leave"

His eyes went wide, and he pulled his phone out. He started dialing my number, but it instantly went to voicemail, "This is Veronica Gordon, I can't come to the phone right now but I'll try and get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks-" He hung up, throwing the phone at the couch. He put his hand on his forehead, 

"Fuck" He muttered. 

Yeah, fuck was right.