1I Ace?

I stared up at the tall building in front of me, anxiety coursing through my veins. Why did I even have to be here again? Oh, yeah. That was right. It was because of my foster dad.

David had been absolutely intent on me demanding a meeting with Mr Bianchi, who was the head of an extremely powerful company, even being as nice as throwing in some slaps and kicks to warn me of what would happen if I messed up.

Personally, I myself wasn't entirely sure of what was going to happen during this meeting. I didn't even know what company this man worked for.

All I'd been told before leaving my poor excuse of a shack, was that this man was extremely important and if I were to blow this meeting, he'd make sure I regretted it. I knew what that meant.

I had been given a small piece of paper by David as I left, and I tightened my fist around the scrunched up ball as to give myself comfort in knowing I wouldn't lose it. I couldn't afford to make any mistakes.

A sense of anticipation flooded my veins even more than previously as I held the paper that would decide just how painful my beating would be. I was scared to read what was on it, knowing that I wouldn't be able to look until I reach Mr Bianchi's office. Only then would I be able read it and dictate what was written on it to him.

What did it even say?

Shaking these thoughts out of my head, I took a deep, shaky breath and stepped forwards, activating the automatic doors in front of me which then slipped open to reveal the large foyer that greeted me.

I tried to keep my chin high and back straight as I stepped inside, attempting to not divert my attention from where I was walking to; the front desk. This was difficult for me considering that for the last year I had grown accustomed to keeping my gaze on the floor whenever someone spared me even the smallest glance. But I knew I had to do this. I didn't want to face the pain that would surely come if I didn't.

I could feel the judgmental stares following me as I walked nervously to the desk. It was obvious to anyone that I didn't belong here and I was just a scared fourteen year old girl who was completely out of place in her surroundings.

I sped up my pace slightly, wanting more than anything to get out of this serious atmosphere as quickly as I could. I hated being the centre of attention.

There weren't too people around and it wasn't very noisy, but the thirty odd people flowing in and out of the different corridors connecting to the foyer, the rustling of paper, quiet discussions and shoes hitting the floor still intimated me. The annoyed glare the lady behind the front desk gave me did nothing to ease my nerves.

"Hello, ma'am," I spoke softly as I stood before the counter which reached just below my shoulders. It wasn't my fault I was so short!

I found myself gazing at the small freckle on the lady's forehead as I spoke to her, too anxious to look her in the eye while I talked.

"I was wondering if you could get ime an appointment with Mr Bianchi," I said with as much confidence as I could muster. There wasn't a lot.

My voice was quiet and timid, a slight quiver to it which gave away my anxiety. My shoulders were tensed and there was a slight lump in my throat from my nerves. I was almost surprised that the woman couldn't hear my heartbeat, considering how loudly and quickly it pumped against my chest.

"Mr Bianchi is far too busy to meet the likes of you," the woman snapped and my breath hitched at her harsh tone. It sounded like David's. Would she react the same way as him if I pushed her too far or did something wrong?

I forced away those thoughts and instead focused on something else I had noticed in her sentence. She had said 'the likes of you'.

Most people would have been offended by this but I wasn't. I was used to this sort of comment. Besides, could I blame her? My body was small and skinny, my clothes dirty and worn- out. I looked like an orphan. And for all I knew, I was.

I had a complicated past. Until the age of five, I had happily lived with my five brothers, mom and dad and I was often visited by the rest of my extensive family. But then everything changed.

One night, a strange man appeared at my bedroom window and my naive five year old curious self went over to him instead of yelling for help. The man then drugged me and I woke up only a few hours later as just another kid in the foster system.

I no longer experienced family.

"I know ma'am, but this is urgent," I tried to explain, feeling slightly desperate now. I did not want to face the outcome of what would happen if I couldn't even make it passed the entrance.

"No. He is far too bus-" the lady began when suddenly her eyes widened and she trailed off, keeping her gaze locked on something behind me.

Before I could turn around to investigatr the reason why she had stopped talking, a dark shadow towered over me and a firm hand clamped down on my shoulder.

Strangely, I didn't tense. I instead relaxed slightly into the person's grip. I felt almost... Comfortable standing directly in front of them while they kept a firm hand on my shoulder. I didn't understand why, though.

"What's going on here," a voice asked coldly from behind me. A voice I felt I recognised.

I quickly slipped the ball of paper I was holding into my pocket, the fear of losing making me feel slightly panicked. It would be safer in my jeans if anything were to happen.

"N- nothing sir," the lady stammered, seeming to be quite panicked. But my mind had drifted away from the conversation.

Where did I recognise that voice from? It was deep an masculine, carrying a sense of authority and expectensy. It sounded cold and sharp but there was something in it. An almost young edge that I wouldn't have noticed if I didn't know this man when he was younger.

Wait. Was it...

No. That was impossible.

Still, I felt the need to check, just so that later in my life I wouldn't regret not finding out who this man was.

His hand was still on my shoulder so all I could do was twist my head around to look at him. It was uncomfortable and he was quite tall, so I had to strain my neck slightly, but I did it anyway.

There was something familiar abou- his eyes. I knew those eyes. Wait. It couldn't be?

Oh. My. Fudging. God.

"Ace?"

Here's the first chapter! I hope you enjoyed :)

I have a couple of notes. First of all, like my published book and all my drafts, each chapter in this book will always have over 1500 words.

I don't have a particular update schedule, but I do try and publish a new chapter at least once a week.

I really appreciate your comments and votes, and, although I doubt this book will get very many views, I am grateful to everyone who is reading it.

Finally, THIS BOOK IS INCEST FREE. I personally find it difficult to find a brother story which isn't about falling in love with your sibling or being their mate, but this book is nothing like that.

Anyway, thank you for reading this and I hope you like my upcoming chapters ❤️

-Elin