chapter fifty-four

"We're here . . ." Peter said as they arrived at the Darkened Sea. Rowyn's blood ran cold as the air shifted. The water was pure black—almost like tar, and the sands were midnight shaded as well. Everything about this place made her feel sick. But it was the glass building on the cliff-side overlooking the water that was eerily beautiful as it reflected the black waves as they hit the black sand.

"This was from my dream." Rowyn breathed out. "When I dreamt of Rabadash calling out for help—of you being tortured and killed . . . it all happened here . . ."

Peter grabbed her hand and squeezed it when he noticed her energy change. "She's gonna be expecting you."

Rowyn nodded. "But she won't expect you . . . she knows I would go alone—maybe we can use that to our advantage." Rowyn then pulled Peter back into the forest a maybe a mile from the water and the building so they could move more around to the back of the building.

"You see those two men?" He pointed towards two guards that rested at the back entrance of the building. Rowyn nodded. "You take the one on the left, I got right—on my signal kill him and hide his body in the grass just to the left, okay?" Rowyn nodded and flicked out her blade.

Footsteps behind her made her swing around along with Peter, who had his sword already drawn, and look around for the force. "What the fuck are you doing here!" Rowyn whisper-shouted as Edmund, Susan, Lucy, and Adeline.

"We're the back up—you may need it." Adeline explained. "If things get rocky, which they probably will, we'll be ready to help."

Rowyn looked at the Pevensie's and shook her head. "You all suck at following orders."

Edmund smiled. "It is a gift." Rowyn rolled her eyes while stifling a smile before turning back to Peter and adjusting the new tank top she wore, this time it was tan instead of white.

"Just stay here—if we haven't come back in thirty minutes, then you come in as back up." Edmund nodded at her order and Rowyn and Peter moved forward, crouching in the tall grass that rested beneath the dark gray clouds above them.

"Hey, wait-" Peter whispered to her as they were now about half way to the two guards. Rowyn turned to him in her crouched position. Peter quickly cupped her cheeks and pulled her to his lips while she held his wrists. "I love you."

Rowyn smiled and pressed a few more kisses to his mouth. "To whatever end . . . we can do this." Peter squeezed her hand.

"I know." And with one last smile, Rowyn moved to the left and slowly and quietly snuck up behind the guard. A quick whistle from Peter made her jumped up and cover the guards mouth while stabbing her switchblade into his neck while Peter stabbed his guard as well.

"Two down," She whispered to herself while crouch-walking her way back to Peter. "Once we're inside, you find a place to hide and I can confront her and then once the time is right-"

"Attack her, pin her down, and let you burn her to ash?" Rowyn smiled proudly at him and gave him a hard kiss.

"I am so proud." She joked while Peter stifled a laugh before peeking out the tall grass to make sure the coast was clear before slipping into the castle. "I love you."

"I love you too." He whispered back before disappearing around the corner to find his vantage point. Rowyn listened for a moment for any footsteps and when she heard none she walked down the hallway until she saw Jadis staring out towards the sea through the glass walls of the castle.

Rowyn turned her head and saw Peter hiding behind one of the stone pillar within the building. "Hi, Jadis." She spoke out after pushing open the glass door and entering the ice cold room. Rowyn could now see her breath in front of her.