Confessions Part 2

Author's Note: Thank you so much to @pink_kiwi_

Author's Note: Thank you so much to @pink_kiwi_.art on IG for this super cute art. Ridley and Vandel both look so adorable here! Also, buckle up for this chapter guys.

Ridley

It felt like the world had come to a screeching halt. The words the Demon Queen had just spoken hung heavy in the air.

But that's when I caught myself. Victoria was a master manipulator. She had spun web after web around me and my comrades and I wasn't going to fall for her blatant lies any longer.

"You're lying," I said coldly. "I'm not the idiot you take me for. What you're saying is insane. Right, Vandel?"

I was met by silence.

Slowly I turned to look at him. The moment I saw his expression it felt as if someone had slammed a fist directly into my gut.

His face was ashen, a look of indescribable horror plastered to his face.

Still...maybe he was just frightened...he couldn't possibly have...

"V-Vandel?" I hated the waver in my voice.

"Ridley, she's telling the truth."

The moment the words actually left his mouth I felt like I was falling, the world crashing down around me. It was as if the earth beneath my feet had opened up and Vandel had pushed me downwards, leaving me to drown in the darkness. I couldn't think, I couldn't move, I couldn't breathe. I just stood there, frozen, feeling like I was about to vomit or pass out or maybe even both.

"You've known this entire time?" I finally managed to choke. "You knew you were the one who murdered my father and you said...nothing."

"No," Vandel said frantically. "I...I only found out at the village of the Ancients-"

"THAT LONG?" I screamed, causing Vandel to flinch back.

"I'm sorry...the Ancients told me...I had no idea the Demon Eater was your father-"

"DON'T CALL HIM THAT!"

Vandel's eyes had grown watery, on the verge of tears.

"I should have told you sooner. I...I know that. T-that's the real reason I kept trying to push you away, Ridley. Because it was just supposed to be business. We were still just supposed to be enemies. I never thought I would start feeling the way I did about you and...and I knew if I told you that...that you'd never forgive me. But I'm sorry...I'm so fucking sorry...I... you have to understand, I had no other choice but to-"

"How am I supposed to believe anything you say?" I snapped, now painfully aware of the hot, angry tears rolling down my cheeks. Humiliated that I was crying in front of him, I frantically wiped the tears away with one arm.

"Ridley, please...I..."

"It's not just your fault, Vandel," I said, unable to even look at him. "It's equally mine. It's been my fault since I just stood there, petrified as a child. It's been my fault since I let him die without doing anything. The Gods have seen my sins...they must know of the terrible things I've done and...and they want to punish me by making the only person I've ever loved my father's murderer." I was starting to hyperventilate now, I sunk to my knees, caging my head with my hands like I could block this all out. A rush of thoughts and words raced through my mind and spilled from my lips, "I need to be punished. I'm horrible. I killed my best friend. I need to be punished. I'm a murderer. I need to be punished. I fornicated with a demon. I need to be punished. I...I fornicated with my father's murderer...I need to be punished, I need to be punished, I need to be punished, I need to be punished, I need to be punished, I need to be punished, I need to be punished..."