42.

Meera couldn't muster the strength or the courage to attend the function.
She had although, collected her thoughts and her will to prove herself innocent.

She was Meera Vikram Singh, she wouldn't give up because of the likes of Kanika, she would fight for her self respect because that is all she had to loose now.

A knock on her door, pulled her from her sting of thoughts.

"Come in." She said in a hoarse voice.

"Malika." Hania entered followed by Jamila. Hania flung herself on Meera and sobbed into her shoulder.

"Why are you crying ?" Meera let out a forced laughed.

"The..they said a lot of bad things about you, the king wouldn't let us see you, I'm so sorry my queen, I .."

"Shh.." Meera hushed her.
"I need you now more than ever Hania, if you give up and cry who will help me to prove my innocence ?" She said looking between Hania and Jamila.

"We'll do anything for you my queen." Jamila said herself choking.

"I know you would. Where is Avantika, I have to congratulate her as-."

"Do not speak of her my queen." Jamila snapped.

"Jamila aapa." Hania whisper yelled.

"Wh..why what's wrong."

"Nothing your highness, queen mother has summoned you for dinner." Hania informed.

"And we think you must go, your silence will be only used to prove you guilty." She added as she saw a flicker of doubt crossing Meera's face.

"You've grown up." Meera tried to sound cheerful as she taped Hania's nose playfully.

Meera after days, took the effort to look presentable, she wore a navy blue plain cotton Anarkali and tied her hair in a loose bun, yet the sadness in her eyes couldn't be masked.

She walked down to the courtyard with Hania and Jamila, trying to ignore the whispers on her way.

The dinner table was set, it was full as the entire family had come together after long, with the addition of Abhishek and now Avantika as well.

"Oh my darling." Ammi be said getting up from her chair and rushing towards Meera, she enveloped her in a warm embrace.

"How are you baby?" Inayat asked stroking Meera's back affectionately.

"Alive, Ammi jaan." Meera whispered, holding her sob back.
"I hope you believe me Ammi."

"I do mere bacche." Inayat said looking into Meera's dull eyes.

"Come let's eat." She said pulling Meera towards her chair, Ammi be pulled Meera's chair which was next to Haider and pushed her into the seat.

Haider pushed his chair behind, scraping its leg along the floor and stood up.
"Ammi Be, I respect your choice of breaking bread with certain people but please if you can keep filth away from me I'd appreciate it." Haider said making Meera retract her hand from over the table.

"Come Meera sit next to your Ammi." Inayat called Meera over. The chair which was earlier Zulekha's was now hers.

The entire dinner passed with a thick blanket of awkward silence.
None of them tried to meet Meera's eyes or strike a conversation with her.

Haider got up from his seat and left as soon as he finished his food, her presence was causing him pain.

Inayat took it upon herself to walk with Meera, as the rest of them had left for their respective chambers ignoring her presence.

"What have I done to deserve this." Meera said as the avalanche of emotions came crashing down on her.

"Nothing my darling, I believe you, Hania believes in you, so does Jamila. Soon everyone will mere bacche. Ye waqt hai, guzar jayega." She said patting her cheek gently.

"Ammi." Noor's voice called Inayat from behind. "I need your help, please come with me." She said, walking past Meera not sparing her a glance.

"I'll see you tomorrow meri jaan, stay strong." Inayat said patting Meera's cheek and followed her daughter.

Meera stood their, trying to contain her emotions. Hania and Jamila by her side.

Meera saw Avantika walking past her, towards the harem.

"Avantika." She called out to her, she surely must be upset with her since Meera had missed her roka ceremony.

Avantika did not stop but kept moving, Meera followed her footsteps and called out to her again.

However this time, Avantika paused, she turned around to look at Meera, with an indifferent look on her face.

"Are you upset ?" Meera said walking towards her, she raised her hand to caress her face but Avantika took a step back.

"I'm sorry." Meera said. "I didn't want to miss your engagement bu -."

"I'm glad you weren't a part." Avantika said bitterly. "I don't want a new life of mine to start in the presence of a woman who i-."

"Avantika." Hania hissed.

"What ? She wasn't ashamed to do it, and I can't even speak of her infi-."

"You stop right there girl." Jamila roared.

"I don't want to be associated with you in any way Malika e Hindustan, had they seen what I did back there, they wouldn't be by your side either."
Avantika spat venomously.

"Had I seen what you had whatever that might be, I would still trust my queen. Our eyes and ears often betray us Avantika." Hania said taking a step in front of Meera protectively, as if to shield her from Avantika's hurtful words.

"I think we should go my queen." Jamila said and Meera nodded trying really hard not to let the pain reflect in her expression.

As they climbed the stairs of the harem, two women descended the stairs with a beautiful girl around Meera's age in tow.

"Where are you going this hour ?" Jamila asked them as the women in the harem weren't permitted to leave the harem during late hours

"We have to drop her to the King's Chamber." The older woman said looking at Meera briefly and then casting her eyes down. "She has been requested b..by the king for..for umm she .."

"Go." Meera said in a whisper. Her heart could be heard breaking in that one mono syllable.

Meera passed them and rushed to her room. Hania and Jamila wanted to comfort her but they knew nothing they say or do could make her feel better.

Meera locked her door and dragged herself to the balcony. She stood there and looked straight, to where his chamber was.

He stood there alone, in the dim light.
She saw him, standing there motionless. She knew he stood there looking at her just like she was here looking at him.

She wanted to scream at him, for not trusting her, for hurting her and for hurting himself, but she stayed mun.

She watched as a figure entered his balcony and informed him something, or someone's presence as she knew.

She watched him as he stood there for a second longer, before turning his back towards her and walking inside his chamber.

She stood there as the tears poured down her face, thinking of her husband with another woman, in a room they had so many memories in, in the same bed they shared and had made love with each other.

AN: poor Meera :(
Bad Haider

Thank you for the votes and plethora of comments.
Vote again my lovelies.
More drama in the next chapter hehehe

Lots of love
xoxo