Early morning, Deep scars

TW - mention of character death
!SPOILERS! - Paramount War (Episode 483, Chapter 573-574)

~•~•~•~•~

Sanji woke up slowly from his internal alarm, telling him it was time to start breakfast preparation. The sounds of the ocean around him slowly filling his ears as he sat up, looking around at the hammocks surrounding him. A certain rubber captain was missing from his own empty hammock, swaying slightly on its own. The chef stood up and changed into his dress pants and a T-shirt, leaving his button up and coat hung up for later use. Leaving the men's quarters to step out onto the Sunny's deck, Sanji breathes in the fresh air, taking in the area of the ship, just to see the galley light on. He feels a tick on his forehead as he marches toward the galley, knowing Luffy was stealing the food (or trying) while it was early in the morning and people were asleep. He opened the door and quickly opened his mouth to say something and chew out the raven haired boy, but shut it just as fast. 

He saw Luffy sitting at the bar, precious straw hat on the table, his fingers gently tracing the stitching that was almost invisible on the top where Nami had repaired it. He was told it was three stabs through the hat from one of the first fights Luffy had encountered before the cook and captain had even met.

His captain clearly noticed his presence from his haki, but didn't acknowledge Sanji with anymore than a quick glance. Luffy's face was schooled into a blank expression, but one that Sanji knew to read as uncertainty, something that he never showed the crew. Luffy was a ball of sunshine and chaos, but his Nakama knew he had darker feelings deep down that he didn't like to share.

Sanji gently closed the door behind him and walked to his captain with the rhythmic foot steps of his dress shoes hitting the floor. He sat on the stool next to Luffy, facing him, and stared at him for a few seconds, studying his features. 

The rubber teen stayed silent- well, Luffy wasn't a teen anymore. Sometimes it's hard to forget that he is actually an adult now, with how goofy and carefree he is. But on the other side of the coin it's hard to believe he's as young as he is at all, with all of the hardships and difficulties he's gone through, the injuries he's sustained. Sanji frowned slightly at the images that swarmed his head, pictures of Luffy with major injuries, times he almost lost the fight, the look of terror on his face when his crew disappeared one by one on Sabody, when Sanji read the news paper, having to learn from a piece of damn paper that his captain lost-

"Ace.." 

It was a quiet word, uttered in such a gentle tone you wouldn't think Luffy was capable of, unless you were his friend, his nakama. 

"That's why I'm in here." 

Sanji's eyes widened a bit at his statement.

"I just couldn't sleep, he was on my mind and I couldn't stop it" His captain sighed quietly and dropped his hands on the table on either side of his hat. "When it's late at night, and it's quiet, I can't stop the thoughts from creeping in that I could've changed the outcome. That my big brother could still be alive." His hand lifted to press against the X shaped scar on his chest, fingertips pressing into the skin as if he could pull the scar off.

Sanji's mouth opened and closed in a loss for words. "Luffy.."

"And I know it's done, and I can't do anything to change it but I can't help it, I just wish I had my big brother back, I had the chance to save him, and he was right there, if I only-" Luffy pursed his lips tightly together and looked down at his lap, moving his hands there to watch his fingers flex. "Sorry, Sanji, I don't mean to just say all this to you." He took a deep breath and then looked at the Straw Hat's chef, smiling.

Sanji shook his head, lips twitching up slightly. "Oh, Luffy" the words were soft, something that could just be heard over the sound of the water outside. "That's what this is about?" Sanji brought a treasured hand up to rest on top of the dark locks of hair. "Come here" his voice stayed low and gentle, almost in a parental like way. 

Luffy opened his eyes and let his smile drop, lips slightly parted and wide eyes looking between Sanji's open arms and kind face. Sanji barely got a glimpse of the forming tears in the boy's eyes before he threw himself into his chef's arms, wrapping his own around his slim torso tightly.

Sanji took note that Luffy wasn't stretching, and was holding him as tight as he could without causing pain. A small smile crept onto his lips as he wrapped one arm around the shorter male's back and his other hand rested on his nape, fingers lightly drawing circles into the skin where his hair fell. "I know he's proud of you, Luffy." Was the quiet whisper before he kissed the top of his head, letting his own head rest in Luffy's hair while they stood there, embraced in each other's warmth while the sea filled the silence.

Luffy buried his face into Sanji's chest, his fingers feeling the softness of the shirt he was wearing. He liked it when Sanji wore his suit, but he liked this too, being able to hear his heartbeat and feel the warmth radiating off of him. It made him feel safe, like a familiar memory that he couldn't quite place his finger on. Warm, warmth felt so good right now.

He had his nakama, and he had his brothers watching over him.

He was free, and so were they, even if they were in different ways.

"Now, want me to make you some breakfast?" Sanji's voice pulled him from his trance, the blond giving him a kind look, gentle and making sure to take things slow for Luffy's sake. 

The captain couldn't help the big smile that grew across his face at the thought of food, especially Sanji's food. So Luffy threw his hands in the air and cheered "Yeah!"