Chapter 41: Phone Calls and Goodbyes

"Have you told Sebastian?"

Gemma shook her head, "No. I found out a few days ago and I don't know how to tell him. Jagger told me, he said he could smell the change in my hormones. I thought he was just being Jagger but then I realized I hadn't gotten my period so then I asked Esther to do a test and it confirmed it and I... I'm just still freaking out about it."

Sophie squeezed her hand, "We'll be here when you're ready."

"Exactly," Leanna agreed with a smile. "So how about we watch a movie and relax?"

Gemma wiped her cheeks, giving them a grateful look, "That sounds nice. Can I have caramel popcorn? I've been craving it for the last couple of days."

"Can we watch Mamma Mia?" Sophie suggested, her eyes wide.

"Oh, Dirty Dancing next!" Gemma piped up.

Leanna giggled, "We can end it with a side of grease lightning!"

"Sounds like a plan! I'll get the popcorn!" Sophie jumped up, disappearing in the direction of the kitchen.

Gemma chuckled to herself as Leanna put on Mamma Mia. Sophie returned a few minutes later, holding a bowl caramel popcorn, a bag of Reese's cups, and paydays.

"I've got one more trip, hold up!" She set everything down on the coffee table and rushed back to the kitchen, returning with another armful of sodas, juices, and water.

Gemma's eyes widened, "Oh, this kid is going to be born with a sugar high. Gimmie the stuff!"

"Don't we need to monitor sugar and caffeine now?" Leanna teased and Gemma scoffed, giving her a mock glare.

"Unless you want me to bite your head off, you'll do well to not touch my coffee and chocolate!"

Leanna put her hands up in defense, "I won't!"

After their laughter had died down, they settled into comfortable positions on the couch, and began the movie.

By the third one, Gemma and Sophie were knocked out and Leanna was on her way. Her eyes were drooping, and she was just about to give in when she felt a buzzing against her leg. She let out a groan, pulling it out absently.

"Hmm?" She answered.

"Hello, daughter."

Her eyes snapped open and she sat up on the couch, making sure the girls were asleep. Quickly jumping to her feet, she rushed to her office, shutting the door behind her.

"I heard you've been looking for me."

Her heart was hammering in her chest and she took in a deep breath, trying to calm her nerves. She knew to expect a call, but it still caught her off guard.

She opened her mouth but nothing came out. She cleared her throat, trying again.

"Dad?" Her voice was like a croak, nearly unrecognizable to her own ears.

"My little firefly. It's been a long time," his voice was gruff, and it sent a wave of nostalgia through her.

Tears pricked her eyes, "I'm so sorry." The words spilled out before she had a chance to stop them, her tears burning and threatening to fall.

"You know I don't like it when you get emotional," he whispered though his own voice was thick with emotion.

She sniffled, wiping her cheeks with her hands, "I know. I'm sorry."

He was quiet for a long time and her heart was beating erratically in her chest.

"Sebastian said you were in trouble," he broke the silence, his voice a bit harsher.