Chapter 48: To the Moon and Back

Chapter 48:

"So? What did you want to talk about?" Hayashi asked, raising her eyebrow inquisitively.

"If I'm being honest," Mizuki stared at her icily, "I would rather be with my boyfriend right now, celebrating his team's win. But, because of you, I can barely look at him without the image of you two kissing tormenting me."

Hayashi avoided her stare and said, "And?"

"I want to know," Mizuki inhaled sharply, "Did he kiss you?"

Hayashi crossed her arms, debating whether or not to tell the truth. She cared for Kei, and she wanted him all to herself. So what if she was a little selfish? All's fair in love and war, right?

"It doesn't matter," She shrugged nonchalantly, "All I know is that Tsukki-kun and I had a connection when we were kids, and the fact that we were each other's first kiss-"

"I don't care!" Mizuki shouted abruptly, gritting her teeth, "Just answer the question!"

Hayashi's eyes widened, stunned by her sudden interruption.

"What if I said yes?" Hayashi murmured uneasily.

Mizuki stood there, frozen in uncertainty. Part of her wanted to slap the hell out of Hayashi, but she knew that that would do nothing but maybe have the police called on her. Without saying anything else, Mizuki walked away, back into the hotel lobby where Rina and Mina were waiting for her.

It sure felt nice thinking about slapping her though.

January 7th, Day 3 of Spring Interhigh

The Karasuno boys were playing a long-awaited match against Nekoma, their fated rivals, at long last. They were on the court, warming up, when Kuroo approached Kei.

"I heard from Bokuto that you and Toma-chan are dating..." He casually chimed in.

"Yes..." He mumbled defeatedly, "Not sure how long I have left until she breaks up with me though."

"Don't be like that," Kuroo rolled his eyes, pointing at the stands, "Look over there."

Kei gazed up slowly and noticed Mizuki and her friends sitting at the stands. He stared at her, and this time she didn't look away, causing him furrow his eyebrows in confusion. She smiled at him softly, and it was as if the world was whole again.

"Don't give up Tsukki," Kuroo patted his back comfortingly, "If she's worth it, keep fighting."

Kei looked at his upperclassman in disgust, "Where'd you get those lame lines from, Kuroo-san?"

Kuroo's eye twitched in irritation, and said, "I'm going to obliterate you once this game starts."

Kei smirked smugly, but inside, he knew that Kuroo was right. One issue at a time though - his team had to win against Nekoma first.

As the first set commenced, Karasuno seemed to have the upper hand, especially when Kei moved up to block Nekoma's spikes.

"Four-eyes number 11 is the cornerstone of Karasuno's blocking game!" The announcer exclaimed energetically.

He stared at Kenma from across the net. It was written all over his face that he probably didn't like Kei.

My pleasure, I guess... Kei thought to himself.

Meanwhile, at the stands, Mizuki heard Akiteru's excited voice. It seemed like he made it just in time to Kei's match. Akiteru looked at her and quickly sauntered over to her and her friends.