Arc 1: Chapter 16

Weeks go by and Elenor would say her life has been peaceful. Her relationship with Alec has also improved as well. Sometimes she would catch him with a small smile on his face and other times he would let out a soft laugh which was barely audible but she still could hear it.

"Today's a nice weather." Elenor said, stretching her arms in her seat near the window.

"Indeed it is, milady."

Elenor stared at the words in her book, pondering, "I wonder what we could do.."

"We?"

She scoffed, shaking her head, "Why do you never include yourself Alec? The only person I would be with is you."

"...."

"See now you don't respond to me, how rude." she frowned, blew her hair away from her face before an idea popped into her mind.

"That's it!"

Snapping her fingers, she abruptly stood up. "Let's have a picnic today!!" she exclaimed brightly.

Alec stared at her in silence which made her think he didn't hear her. She walked closer to him and waved her hand over his face.

"Hey? Did you hear what I said?"

For a split second Elenor thought she saw a surprised look on his face before he took a step back from her. Clearing his throat softly, he replied back, "Yes milady. I'll ask the chefs to prepare the food."

Elenor shook her head, "No need to ask them. You can prepare the blanket and everything. I'll be preparing the food."

"You know how to cook?"

She scratched the back of her nape and sheepishly muttered, "Not really but I can make simple food!"

Sending him a thumbs up, she grinned. "Leave the food to me!"

Alec could only look at Elenor as she left to the kitchen with a look he often used when he could never understand her and her actions.

Making her way to the kitchen, the chefs noticed her and stiffen up. "L-lady Elenor! What brings you here?"

"I wanted to make some food for my picnic today."

One of the chef nodded, "I'll get them ready-"

She held her hand up, "No I will be doing it. Please bring me bread, egg, cucumber, tomatoes and mayonnaise."

Astonished, the chefs in the kitchen looked at her, not moving. Elenor sighed, frowning ever so slightly, "Hello? I said bring me those ingredients please."

Snapping out of their trance they ran around gathering the ingredients and brought it over to her. She nodded and folded her sleeves up to the elbows.

Elenor then rinsed and cut the cucumbers and tomatoes into slices that weren't too thick or thin.

After that, she left those aside and began boiling the eggs in a pot of water over the fire. Once the eggs were boiled, she poured the hot water away, placing cold water inside to cool the eggs. Peeling the egg shells away, she placed the eggs into a bowl and mashed it all up with a fork, adding mayonnaise inside as well.

Once everything was done, Elenor placed the egg mayonnaise onto the bread together with cucumber and tomato slices before adding a bit more egg mayonnaise and placing another bread on top of it. The final thing was to cut the sandwich diagonally.

"Finish." Elenor said to herself proudly.

"These look good, what are they milady?" she heard one of the chefs asking.

Elenor didn't realise everyone was standing behind her, watching her make these sandwiches. She glanced back at the sandwiches.

"These? These are called egg mayonnaise sandwiches."

"Egg mayonnaise sandwiches?"

She nodded, handing one to them, "Here try it."

They had a wary look on their face but took a bite into it. Their eyes widened and nodded enthusiastically, "These are amazing milady!"

Elenor smiled, "I'm glad."

This was the chef's first time seeing Elenor smile. A soft smile on her lips that showed no anger or negativity. These days the rumours and gossip around the workers were about Elenor, how her attitude flipped 180, becoming a new leaf.

Some didn't believe it and one of them were the chefs but after seeing her smile, they believed in the rumours. The youngest daughter of this household was now a proper lady that didn't show anger towards any of the workers.

Elenor finished making the sandwiches, having extras just for the chefs.

"You can give it to anyone, thank you for letting me use the kitchen for today." she said, grabbing the basket that had all the sandwiches and drinks inside.

"Of course milady, do come back anytime."

Elenor nodded, waving goodbye to them, "I will!"

Once she left, everyone looked at each other and nodded. She truly became a new leaf.

Elenor made her way back to her room where Alec was waiting for her with a picnic blanket along with books for her to read.

"Shall we go now?" she asked, tapping on his shoulder.

Alec who was holding onto the picnic blankets, heard her voice and turned to her. He gazed downwards at the basket then up at her before nodding. Elenor sent him a smile, "Then let's have a picnic outside."

They ventured out, to the back of the household. Walking further to the back, there was a small wooden gate which led to a small pathway. The two halted their footsteps and stared.

"Have you gone through here before?" she asked Alec, touching the wooden entrance gate. It was old and slightly rusty, it let out small squeaks every time she pushed it.

Alec shook his head, "No,"

Elenor thought for a bit before shrugging, "Well you know what they say, curiosity kills the cat."

Without warning, she walked past the wooden gate, Alec was walking behind her with a sigh threatening to leave his lips. The pathway was only able to fit one person and there were overgrown tree branches blocking their way. It didn't bother Elenor however, she pushed them away to the side, preventing any branches from hitting her and Alec who was still behind her, holding onto the things for the picnic.

It wasn't long until they reached the end of the path, a gasp slipped out of Elenor's mouth. It was a wide meadow filled with wildflowers all ranging from small baby ones to large size flowers. There was a large tree in the middle of the meadow. The warm yet cooling breeze moved the flowers and leaves gently.

It was dazzling. Memories of the time she had a picnic with her family in a meadow when she was young flashed through her mind. Nostalgia hit her as she continued staring at the meadow without moving an inch or saying a word. She suddenly missed her family from her previous world. Their voices, faces, laughter, the soft touches.

Ah, nostalgia really hits hard.

---

Author's note: writing about picnics makes me want to have one as well (>人<;)