Arc 1: Chapter 18

A letter came in for Elenor. It was an invitation to a tea party in a week that was being held by Lady Isabella, Duke Moore's daughter. Receiving this invitation made her remember more parts about her story she had forgotten until now.

Isabella was another villainess in the story. The two were rivals who detested each other and would always have schemes on the other, hoping one of them would fall. However when the heroine came into view, the two pushed away their differences and cooperated for a moment.

Although they were like cats and dogs to each other, the two ladies used to be close to each other. Best friends in fact, used to be stuck at the hip but had a fall out because of one thing. The crown prince. Love that cost their friendship to go to ruins but they decided to go through with that path.

Elenor stared at the letter before she sighed, placing it back on her study table. She rose from her seat and went over to her comfy chair she always sat in. She didn't know why Isabella suddenly invited her to a tea party she was hosting but she had a vague idea. It was either an act as if they were on good terms or to embarrass her. Elenor definitely thought of the latter.

"Are you going for the tea party milady?" Elenor heard Alec's monotonous tone as usual.

She glanced up at her butler who had an indifferent look on his face. She shrugged which earned her a small frown from Alec.

"I don't have a choice. Duke is higher than Marquess," Elenor muttered before asking Alec to get her a pen and paper so she could send in her reply.

Without much effort, she finished writing a simple letter telling her she will attend the tea party. After that she handed it over to Alec who then gave it to a maid to send it. Elenor went to the library and stayed there for hours. She liked reading alone so she forced Alec out of the library. Only when it was getting late, she would be forced by Alec to leave the library for the day.

Elenor ate dinner with her family before returning back to her room. She changed into her nightgown earlier than her usual timing and lied on the couch, with one leg over the other, gently swinging her foot back and forth. The door was knocked before it opened but Elenor couldn't see who it was as she was lying down and she was too lazy to lift her head up.

Footsteps were heard until it abruptly stopped. Elenor knew it was Alec and although he was often not speaking, the silence felt odd to her. She gazed at Alec only to see him looking quite conflicted about something? His eyes seemed to have darkened and his pupils shrunk.

Elenor was about to ask what was wrong until she followed the direction he was looking at. From her ankles up to her knees were exposed, letting Alec or anyone who came in to see how fair and smooth her legs were. It was almost doll-like. Elenor quickly pulled back her legs, covering up the skin. She knew although it wasn't a big deal as it used to be since they do wear dresses that were up until the knees, it still brought attention from the opposite sex as society was still trying to get used to it.

Elenor knows Alec would care less about this thing and her but it was better to be safer and have some decency. She shot a sheepish smile at Alec which made him snap out of a trance.

"Milady you shouldn't do to anyone," he warned, placing down the tray with her usual tea on the coffee table.

Elenor nodded, sitting upright and acting proper. "Alright.."

"...But it is alright if it's only the two of us," Alec muttered so softly, Elenor had to do a double take.

She stared at Alec without a word, her face held a blank look but the gears in her brain were moving rapidly. Only the two of us? What was he saying?

Elenor couldn't understand the train of thoughts of her butler. Her brain then decided it was because he didn't want her to destroy her reputation and also dirty the family's name. Elenor's eyes brighten up ever so slightly. Alec was looking out for her which wasn't often.

She nodded as she took hold of her teacup, "Okay. I will keep that in mind,"

Elenor noticed a slight change in his eyes. His eyes seemed to have lit up, looking more alive.

Alec nodded at her words, "Good. I shall excuse myself now, have a good night." he formally bowed.

He turned his back and left the room. Elenor finished her tea slowly, spending some time reading before deciding to leave her room as she felt extremely bored. Elenor slowly opened the doors, cringing when it squeaked. Looking around, the hallways were pitch black with only a few soft light ambienting. It was extremely quiet, a soft cough could be heard miles away.

Elenor left her room without a sound and slipped out of the main building of the estate. Everyone was already asleep so she didn't need to worry about getting caught. She walked into the courtyard, barefooted as she forgot to wear any shoes. She didn't care since she could always wash her feet before heading back. The night air was cold and Elenor only wore her nightgown which was thin.

She walked around aimlessly, dazedly looking at how beautiful the flowers were under the bright moonlight. Gazing up at the sky, the stars were extremely visible. Elenor couldn't help but stare in awe. Stars were hardly visible where she lived before this. It sucked but what could she do? She lived in the city and all she could see were buildings and more buildings.

However coming here was different. There were less buildings than the city and the noise pollution wasn't bad. It felt like a getaway. And like any getaway, some day you have to leave.

Elenor's eyes dimmed.

She had enough of being outside late in the night so she turned to take her leave when she heard footsteps. She glanced at where the sounds were coming from and a figure slowly appeared.