Chapter 59

Author's note: I'm not being random, the song above has reference to the chapter lol

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I was a hypocrite. 

Earlier today, I had told May to be nice to April, yet here I was on Ethan's lap, trying to flaunt our relationship in her face. 

With a sigh, I untangled my arms from around his neck and flopped off his lap and onto the sofa. 

"Hey, are you alright Chubs, you look a little sad?" Ethan said with a frown as his eyes roamed over my face. 

"Yeah, yeah, I'm good," I lied, trying to perk up my voice, so I sounded convincing. 

He looked at me skeptically and didn't say anything for a while. His eyes did a slow glance over the room before a spark of excitement danced in his eyes.

He stood up abruptly and stood before me with a mischievous smile on his face. 

"First off, imagine me, twelve, skinny and short," he laughed. I gave him a funny look, wondering what he was up to.

 He cleared his throat dramatically and stuck his hands in his pockets as though he was pretending to be shy.

 "Hey, so, Mia, I know I'm not your favorite person right now since you know, the whole lesbian rumor, but I-I just thought....maybe, only if you want, of course, mind dancing with me?" Ethan said as his eyes pierced through mine.

 I looked at him in astonishment because he had just given a very accurate impression of exactly what he had said to me six years ago at our school dance. 

"H-how do you remember exactly what you said?" I asked in bewilderment.

 He snorted. "Well, it's hard to forget what you said when someone responds with, and I quote, 'Fuck off, you nasty piece of shit', he laughed. 

He scratched the back of his neck. "Your rejection stung like bitch, so the cruel part of my brain likes to replay that memory over and over again in my head," he chuckled, but the laughter didn't quite seem to meet his eyes, indicating it was still a sore memory. 

I felt guilt stab at my heart, feeling bad that my words had unknowingly caused him a lot of pain.

I cleared my throat sat up straighter. "Well, seventeen-year-old Mia says, yes, she'd love to dance with you," I said with a smile, deciding to play along.

A wide grin broke out on his face, and he took my hand in his, pulled me up before leading me to the makeshift dance floor. 

I laughed in surprise as Ethan grabbed me by the waist and pulled me flush up against him. 

Reaching out, he tucked a loose strand of hair behind my ear and gave me one of his heart-warming smiles.

 I noticed the track was playing an emotional slow type ballad, which I recognized as A drop in the Ocean-by Ron Pope. I let out a helpless sigh, immediately knowing things weren't going to end well for my heart, with a song like this playing in the background and him so close.

 One of his hands rested on the small of my back with the other was intertwined with mine. We slowly started to sway to the music, and the way he was looking at me, made my heart throb. His eyes held such an intense emotion in them, which could only be described as love.

 I laughed as he started to sing along with the lyrics. "I was praying that you and I might end up together," he sang deeply along with the track. His eyes sparkled with humor, probably due to the irony of the lyrics.