Scientific Advancements

You were wondering the halls of your high school, trying to find some sort of after school activity for yourself. You had signed up for several clubs around campus yet like you should have known, none of them were super active. And the one that was active had just finished early due to not many people attending what's so ever. So, you were wondering around the halls until you heard some minor laughter. Just as you were about to round the corner, you accidentally bumped into someone, sending you both to the ground.

(Y/N): Oh, sorry. I didn't mean to-

Tsuyu: No. It's alright. I didn't see you...(Y/N)?

(Y/N): How do you know me...Asui?

(Y/N) and Tsuyu: Hey it's nice to see you-Oh! (Awkward chuckle)

(Y/N): Ladies first.

Tsuyu: It's good to see you again. I haven't seen you since Freshman year.

(Y/N): Yeah. Well, things had been pretty busy. How-how are things with you?

Tsuyu: Things have been great! Biology club has been fun and everything is turning out just fine with colleges, careers and other important notes. How about you?

(Y/N): Oh, the usual I guess. Same boat. So...bio club?

Tsuyu: It's a lot of fun. You hear for the meeting going on right now?

(Y/N): Uh...just wondering around really. But hey, look at the time. I gotta run.

Tsuyu: Oh. Will you be here next week for the meeting?

(Y/N): Uh, maybe. Look, I gotta go. Nice to see you again Asui.

Tsuyu: I told you. Call me Tsu!

You walked out of the hallway, the opposite way as Tsuyu. You couldn't turn back to her. You sighed and kept walking until you reached the stairs and quickly stopped at a small balcony. You took a deep breath and leaned against the wall and put your hands up to your face. You took a deep breath and sighed again, letting the air clear around you.

After calming down a bit, you sighed again and slapped yourself to regain composer. It had been years since you last talked to Tsuyu and damn was it as awkward as ever. You and Tsuyu Asui had known each other since middle school, and well, you liked her since first meeting her. You tried to talk to her, but nothing really good came from it. You tried and really tried, but clearly nothing was happening. That didn't mean the feelings were still there.

Despite her claim of never seeing you, you saw her a lot. Her friends and herself all hug out by the lockers that were across from you in the morning. Not seeing her would be a good day for you. But now, here you were. Running into her trying to find something to do. You always knew she was big into biology and that she would obviously pursue it. But you didn't want to see her after classes.

But regardless of that, you opted out and decided to go home. The rest of the week was pretty standard for you, a couple of tests here and there but nothing overly serious. The following week came then. And...after battling it out in your head for days, you decided. You walked up and into the bio club and saw Tsuyu sitting at a table, going over some notes with her other club members. She peered up and smiled at you.

Tsuyu: Hey, (Y/N)! Nice to see you again!

(Y/N): Hey, Asui. Figure'd I'd stop by just to check some things out.

Tsuyu: I've told you to call me, Tsu. Either way, come on in.

You took a deep breath and walked on in. The club was mainly filled with some of the smartest people in the school. And honestly, there wasn't much going on. You weren't much of a bio guy so you had little to no idea what the heck they were talking about. The only thing you remembered was your American exchange student saying the "mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell" among a few others.

Regardless, you weren't really there for the bio stuff. You were there to talk to Tsuyu. After she sat back down at a corner desk, you took a deep breath and began to walk over to her. However, just as you were about to sit down, a guy with some dark green hair, plain looking face sat down besides her. They were both doing some AP Bio work. Without second thought, you turned to the door and went to the bathroom.

You sighed while in there, slowly sliding down the wall. You groaned to yourself and slapped yourself across the face as you gained confidence to walk back outside to see her again. When you walked back in, the two were still sitting together, so you sat on the opposite side of the room. Of course, you weren't given the option to talk to her for the rest of the day. You were so annoyed with yourself. There was no way to talk to her during the school day. So that club was your only chance. And here you were, blowing it away.

Regardless though, you had to keep trying. So, the following week was the same thing. You went up to the bio club room and saw Tsuyu sitting and doing some work. Quickly taking the advantage, you walked over to her. However, fear completely took hold of you and you sat in the row two down from hers. You had no idea why you could grow a pair and talk to her. But there you were, sitting at a desk just playing on your phone.

You would glance over to her and see her working but that was it. You weren't one to start a conversation unless you knew the person like your sibling. And unfortunately for you, you didn't know Tsuyu that well. You wanted to say something...anything! Ask her about her bio classes, ask about the future, ask her out! But nothing ever came from it. It pissed you off to no end. And that's what it became for a couple of weeks, going up there, seeing her and only ever saying one or two words to her directly.

And every single time, it pissed you off more and more. It also must have been noticed by your friends as they would tell you to go talk to her. You wanted to but your own cowardice stopped you from acting out at all. Eventually, you just stopped going to the club and started to focus on things with your buddies over her. And like that, everything just faded away. You still saw Tsuyu every once in awhile along the halls but you did your best not to pay her any mind.

So, finally, the day of graduation came. You and your friends were beyond excited and after getting that diploma, walking out, you all screamed. You had done it. You were free. So, who was the first person you sent a text to exclaiming congratulations to...Tsuyu Asui.

You weren't sure why, but you knew, deep down, you wanted something to work out with her. What surprised you most was that she was quick to respond.

Tsuyu: Hey, thanks (Y/N)! Good luck at college!

(Y/N): Yeah. Same to you.

Tsuyu: Oh, I'm taking a gap year.

(Y/N): What?! Why is that?

Tsuyu: Boyfriend and I were recruited into the Junior Science Corps. Meaning he and I will be going abroad to learn all we can and do some research in different bio fields.

(Y/N): Oh. That sounds awesome!

Tsuyu: Yeah. What about you?

What about me?

You sighed and closed your phone. You grabbed your pillow and slammed it on your face and screamed. Different feelings washed over you, none more prominent and painful than regret and heartbreak. You pulled the pillow from your face and looked up at your ceiling, still with remorse over yourself. You grabbed your phone and looked over the message again.

You sighed and began to type.

(Y/N): Just hanging out. Want to join in?

Tsuyu: Can't. I head out for Canada in a few days.

(Y/N): Oh...well. Have fun.

Tsuyu: I will. Goodnight!

Once again, your heart shattered. You sighed and looked back at the messages. You swiped on them and clicked the delete button. You did the same to her contact information. You sighed and closed your phone again.

(Y/N): It's not my place anymore.