42

ELLA TUMBLED DOWN, BRANCHES of the apple trees beside her hooking itself in her sleeve and pulling it along as she fell on the grass. She groaned, her eyes closed as she shook her head, trying to get the stars bouncing in her head to dim. Once she opened them and pushed herself up, she looked around to see the damage they had caused. From behind her she could hear a low voice growl, one which assured her Levi was still alive.

"That fucking tree," he said," it almost took me out."

Surprisingly all the branches were still whole, nothing lost but a few leaves. She couldn't say the same for her and Levi. When she turned her head she almost laughed, before placing a hand in front of her lips to keep it in. He had propped himself up on his elbows, the bed of flowers he was lying on a sharp contrast against him. A scowl had made it's way on his face, blood dripping from the side of his eyebrow and blouse ripped, the fabric fluttering in the wind above them.

"It even got to second base with you before I could," Ella said as she glanced up, before turning around and flashing him a cheeky smile.

He seemed stunned by her words, taking just a second to react as he tilted his head to the right, a twinkle in his eyes.

"We can fix that," he said.

"Scandalous," Ella gasped, before pointing at his face," but we need to fix that wound on you first before you get some more."

"Don't tease me like that, Eleanora," he said quietly, wiping the blood away with the back of his hand.

"Or what?" she grinned.

She didn't have much time to say anything else though, Levi jumping to his feet and throwing her over his shoulder. A loud laugh left her lips, but she grabbed a branch and pulled her legs up at once, causing her to hang from it. Levi only noticed after a couple feet, turning around towards her.

"What did you try to carry me for?" she said.

Levi didn't reply, instead spreading out his arms in front of her and waiting. She stared him right in the eye, before letting go, his arms steady around her as she fell in them. It wasn't like she needed him to carry or catch her, but she couldn't deny that it was fun, especially with how alike he had become to a teddybear now he was getting close to drunk.

"Let's get out of my neighbour's garden now," she said as she looked up at him.

"Why?" he said, snuggling closer to her.

"Because it's my neighbour's garden," she deadpanned.

He just leaned his chin on her head, eyes widening in betrayal when she pulled back from him. His hand reached for her, but she just took it in hers and pulled him along. It was a lot easier to do whatever now he had gotten so soft, but she supposed he always had been easy-going, in that broody manner of his.

The picket fence had shattered in two places, the remains sharply white against the grass, and Ella wondered how she would tell her mother. That would be a problen for later though, so she jumped across, Levi following along. They were just two steps in her garden when Levi's gaze snapped up, a strange expression in his eyes.

"Alex is falling out of the sky," he said.

"What?" Ella frowned.

A loud yell interrupted her before she could say any more and when she looked up she saw Alex coming right at them, his laughter carrying along with the wind.

"Make a wish!" he shouted.

Levi didn't reply, instead quickly making his way forward and catching Alex in time, the two of them being pushed back several feet before tumbling down. Ella could hear Will's alarmed shouts above her, Elisabeth's voice just as concerned as she asked if he was alive.