27. A Christmas at Grimmauld Place

A/N Went over my word count but worth it, I think...

(1035 words)

On Christmas Eve, Narcissa Malfoy carefully unwrapped the Portkey the Ministry had sent her. She was entirely sure Mr Potter was behind this but she wasn't going to complain, especially as she was his guest for the next few days.

At 6.01pm, she landed in Grimmauld Place. She shuddered slightly. She hadn't been to the Noble House of Black since she was a child. She watched as the buildings creaked apart and was pleasantly surprised by the welcoming huge glistening tree in one of the windows and the wreath on the front door.

The door banged open and her son threw himself down the steps and into her arms, hugging her tightly.

'I've missed you, maman.'

She pulled away to inspect him. 'I've missed you too. You look well. And happy.'

'Come inside, maman. Come and meet everyone. It's chaos but wonderful.' Draco took her bag and escorted her in.

The house felt homely and comfortable. The darkness which once seeped through every surface was banished and Narcissa immediately relaxed. Draco led her into the sitting room. It was full of Christmas cheer; of mulled wine, and multiple presents under the tree, and twinkling fairy lights, and Pickle and Princess, and all the Children.

She knew them all really, but this felt like a new beginning so she was happy to be introduced as if for the first time, first to Hermione and Ronald; then Neville and Hannah; and tall handsome Blaise and Peanut; and, of course, Harry. And it was with a slight pang in her heart that she realised they'd all grown up somewhat.

'Maman, would you like a cup of tea. Or something stronger?'

'Perhaps tea first.'

Her son showed her around the house, from the basement kitchen to his attic bedroom, to the beautiful soft sage-green bedroom with heavy cream curtains and matching bedding where she would be staying. She was somewhat mortified to find out it was Harry's bedroom and he was sleeping in 'The Kneazlery' but no amount of arguing would change the arrangements. She was slightly mollified to find that the Kneazlery was not a cage in the garden but actually a very pleasant study with a sofa-bed.

Christmas Eve dinner was a jolly affair. The Children insisted on waiting on her and she was treated like the White Queen at the Mad Hatter's tea-party. Everything happened in lively chaotic fashion and Narcissa listened to their stories, of why they'd all ended up staying for Christmas, and of who was coming the next day for lunch. And as she listened, she noticed how the boys had toned up from their training, and how Blaise doted on Peanut, and Hermione's quiet intelligence, and Hannah's caring nature. More than anything, she noticed the relationship between her son and Harry. A relationship which everyone else seemed to completely ignore.

Draco had told her last summer that he was gay. She wasn't particularly surprised, but she supposed mothers knew these things. He'd insisted there wasn't anyone, and yet...

The following morning was a messy noisy business in the sitting room with cups of tea and warm Danish pastries as they opened stockings together.

Then they set too.

The kitchen was Harry and Hannah's domain; it seemed Harry'd learnt to cook from a very young age. Peanut and Neville helped too. Draco and Blaise were organising drinks and sorting glasses. Hermione and Ronald were laying the dining-room table; Narcissa followed, for want of something to do. The first task was casting extension charms because they needed to seat twenty-two.

'Harry should be at the head of the table,' Narcissa suggested as they discussed a seating plan.

'As guest of honour, so should you,' Ronald said.

'But do you want to sit with Draco and Andromeda?' Hermione asked, as if it might be a problem.

'Only if I'm not putting anyone out.'

'No, no, it's just they'll want to sit together because... they always do...' she indicated to Harry and Draco's place-names.

'Well, put my dad at the other end of the table, and if Peanut's one side he'll be in heaven discussing her prosthetic leg.'

'RON! Teddy will want to be next to Harry. And then Victoire... So, we'll start with Andy, you, Draco, Harry, Teddy...'

...And so it went on.

And Narcissa was desperate to ask but knew she should let Draco come to her first so she didn't say anything. Instead she transfigured a table decoration to compliment the tree brought from Draco's old apartment.

Narcissa was delighted when Andy arrived. And she was amazed to find she got on well with Molly. Molly was rather put out at first to find she wasn't needed in the kitchen but quickly settled into enjoying a cooking-free Christmas Day. There was some trepidation about Augusta Longbottom coming but she was surprisingly relaxed.

When Narcissa cozied into bed that night, she was shattered, but after nearly two years of being on her own, it was rather intense to be sharing one's space with twenty-one other people. She didn't fall asleep immediately, instead she thought over little details of the lovely day: like how William had touched Fleur's stomach repeatedly and she supposed another baby would soon be announced; how Ginevra couldn't sit still because she needed to be flying; how Augusta Longbottom looked proudly upon her Grandson; that the Grangers were perfectly normal considering they were muggles; and that Ronald constantly fidgeted something in his pocket as he looked at Hermione; a ring, she guessed with a small smile.

But more than anything, she noticed how Draco and Harry were always by each other's sides, how they laughed together, teased each other, how they looked at each other, and how much they loved each other. And she saw how oblivious they both were and how all their friends knew but were leaving them to find out in their own time. And she wiped away a small tear for she knew how precious it was and she was overwhelmed see its purity.

*****

A/N: All those seated at the Christmas table (in order): Harry, Draco, Narcissa, Andromeda, Augusta Longbottom, Hannah's father, Molly, Ron, Mione, Blaise, Peanut, Arthur, Mr Granger, Mrs Granger, George, Ginny, Hannah, Nev, Bill, Fleur, Victoire, Teddy (Charlie in Romania and Percy at In-laws).