𝟭𝟲. the perfect storm

CHANGE | CHAPTER SIXTEEN

     𝐓he team stood outside Aiwei's house with Bolin trying to get a peek into the closed windows

     𝐓he team stood outside Aiwei's house with Bolin trying to get a peek into the closed windows. If their assumptions were right, he might be inside his house or he had already escaped. Cloud hoped for the first option, but the old man was a truth seer, and they couldn't exactly compete with him when it came to truths and lies.

    "He's not home. Or he's hiding in there. Or he's invisible," Bolin gasped, causing his older brother to look at him very skeptically. He made a sheepish face. "Probably just not home."

    "We have to get in there and find some evidence that links Aiwei to Zaheer, otherwise Su won't believe us."

    Team Avatar walked in and began to search his whole place. Cloud walked past Asami who flipped through a book on a table before she ended up in front of a normal bookshelf. Bolin appeared next to her, gaining interest in a jar on the bookshelf. He took it in his hand before Cloud could stop him, sighing in disbelief as she slapped her hands on her cheeks.

    "Hmm, it's like a desert on a jar."

    "Bolin, put that back!" Mako exclaimed, noticing the furniture in his hand. "We don't want Aiwei to know we were in here if we can't find anything."

    Cloud ignored their bantering and bent down to check the books on the shelf, but none of them seemed out of place. However, her eyes caught something beneath the shelf. Scuff marks. She abruptly stood up but ended up hitting someone behind her. The firebender took ahold of her arms, balancing her. He glanced down at her with his eyebrows furrowed. 

    "Careful," Mako mumbled, the latter slightly nodding in response as she backed away. Then he also noticed the marks on the floor. "These look like scuff marks. I think this bookshelf slides open."

    Cloud slid the shelf aside to reveal a cellar.

    "Aiwei, you lying bastard," Cloud muttered under her breath, glaring at the sketchy cellar. Figures.

    "What do you think is down there?"

    "Could be a storage cellar."

     Cloud shifted on her foot, hearing footsteps from outside before Asami could even warn them. "Aiwei's coming back! Quick."

    The team ran off of the stairs and slid the bookshelf back where it was before Aiwei entered his house. Cloud tried so hard to remain nonchalant as she hurried towards her friends, her hands behind her back holding her glider.

    "What are doing in my house?" Aiwei demanded. He obviously didn't look too happy seeing them in his home. "You are trespassing on the property of one of the highest-ranked officials in the city. You'd better have a good explanation."

    "We do. We do. We actually knocked on your front door and we thought we heard you say━" Bolin nodded, lying through his teeth as he mimicked a higher-pitched voice. "'Come in, I'm in the bathroom!'"