𝑺𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒆𝒆𝒏.

I 017

I 017. I

𝑪𝒖𝒓𝒔𝒆𝒔 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝑪𝒐𝒓𝒓𝒊𝒅𝒐𝒓𝒔

❝ stars ❞

THEY LANDED AT CRISSY FIELD AFTER NIGHTFALL.

As soon as Dr. Chase stepped out of his Sopwith Camel, Annabeth ran to him and have him a huge hug. "Dad! You flew... you shot... oh my gods! That was the most amazing thing I've ever seen!"

Ariadne kept holding Zoe's hand, never letting go, incase the girl was beginning to shut her eyes. She glanced up at Thalia and Artemis, the older girl looking distraught and the goddess conflicted.

"Please tell me someone packed nectar and ambrosia," Ariadne said.

Thalia gulped. "I... I didn't."

They looked towards Artemis. When the goddess shook her head sadly, their hearts dropped into their stomachs.

Zoe looked terrible. She was shivering as if she had a deadly fever, and the blanket around her wasn't doing much good. Sweat rolled down her forehead and part of Ariadne wanted to just keep praying to anyone who would listen.

The brunette took a deep breath and reluctantly let go of Zoe's hand. She pressed her hands over to the girl's side, causing Zoe to hiss. Tears were welling in her eyes, but she refrained from letting them fall for the injured Huntress's sake.

"My mom used to sing me a song every night," Ariadne told the girl, in hopes it would distract her from her pain.

Zoe's eyes opened a tiny bit. "Can you... can you sing it..."

Ariadne hummed in a shaky voice. Her attempts to soothe the girl were much appreciated.

Percy and Annabeth stood by Dr. Chase bear is airplane a bit away, unaware of what was happening.

"Annabeth, Percy," Thalia called. Her voice was urgent. Artemis had finished binding Zoe's wound, but blood was sleeping through quickly, and it forced Ariadne to keep constant pressure on it.

There was nothing any of them could do. They had no ambrosia or nectar. No regular medicine could do good. And even though it was dark, Zoe was shivering, and the faint glow that usually hung around her was fading.

"Can't you heal her with magic!" Percy asked Artemis. "I mean... you're a goddess."

Artemis looked troubled. "Life is a fragile thing, Percy. If the Fates will the string to be cut, there is little I can do. But I can try."

She tried to set her hand on Zoe's side, but Zoe gripped her wrist. She looked into the goddess's eyes, and some kind of understanding passed between them.