My Failed Attempts

Claire's POV

I was currently locked in the room, the exact room I was chained up in. Apparently 'Atticus' had to go to a meeting of some organization or something and didn't know how to keep me put. He said that if he took me along, I would get freaked out. I agreed. What I did not agree to was being locked away in this damned room. Not to mention there were voices downstairs and outside of the room. I think he has people in the house guarding me.

If I didn't get out of this house soon, I'd be dead. Playing rescue was fun and all, but my mother was probably worried sick about me. I've never stayed out all night, not even for sleepovers when I was younger. Not to mention I haven't even had the chance to hang out with a guy. I wonder what she'd think. Probably shame the hell out of me. I can hear her proper voice right now lecturing me.

This was my one open chance to do it, to escape. I was giddy on the inside, but had to contain it. I've never had anything exciting like this happen to me in— well, forever. I know my plan will work, he can't just appear and stop me out of nowhere like in those books and movies. They're all fantasy, him turning up when I was about to get raped was all just luck. Time to start climbing out of the locked window. Luckily, the windows were locked from the inside, this was too easy.

Attempt #2

Surprise bitch. I thought to myself as I was currently being carried—well cradled, by Atticus. He clenches his jaw in frustration, making me look away in embarrassment. I let out a huff as I recall my disappointing failed attempt. Literally as soon as I even climbed out of the window, he was at the bottom waiting for me to fail. Was this how all my attempts are gonna go?

What was this urgent business he was attending anyway? Obviously not that urgent if he was still here. Or maybe he got here like really fast— like a vampire.

I shake my spooked thoughts away, trying to not let his cosplayer ass get to me.

"Are you really a vampire? Or are you like, one of those guys that think if you worship satan, he'll turn you into a—" I get interrupted in my talking to him. I loop my arms around his neck as he looks down at me.

"Do I really need to answer that?" He asks, giving me a look in disbelief.

"Yeah?" I respond, as he goes back up the stairs to the room I was in before. "You got to admit, none of this is really believable. And how did you get my veins to turn orange and heat up like that?" I ask in interest as he gives me a vague look.

"You saw me rip a guys liver out." He deadpans as I smirk up at him.

"That could've been fake." I say as he flashes me an irritated glance. "Staged." I whisper.

"And I suppose the fact that he was going to violate you was fake too?" He says, reminding me of what went down in that alleyway. The rattling of the old mans belt and my screams are all I think back to before I force myself to stop thinking about it. I glance away from Atticus, hoping that I don't seem too distraught. Still, he takes a notice of my facial expression and answers me.

"If you want me to say it out loud and clear— then yes. I am what you people would call a vampire. Believe it or not, I can't sit around debating if it's realistic. I have war matters to attend." He says, opening the room door and walking over to the bed. He plops me down on it and turns around, finality I'm his tone.

"You people? What's that supposed to mean?" I ask as he ignores my question. He glances back at me again, saying one more thing before he shuts the door.
What did he mean war? Was the USA going to war? Was that even where I was? Holy shit, where am I?