Rest

When we entered the hallway leading to the dining room, Iroh paused for a brief moment and looked into my eyes, grabbing my hand.

"You'll be happy on the ship, Bao." He cooed. "You really will." He seemed to be asking for a confirmation on my part.

"I already was." I cooed back, lightly squeezing his hand with mine. I didn't know why, but I didn't feel like myself. I was saying all sorts of romantic, sappy stuff, and I kissed someone that I believe I loved. A few simple hours ago I wouldn't have thought that was even possible. Now, I felt like I was a new, different and stronger person.

I still was scared. Really scared. I seemed to be torn two ways, afraid for what was to happen, scared of the unknown like I had always been, but at the same time, and incredibly exited for adventure. I had a sense that I was meant to go at this point, meant to go out there and be who I was meant to be.

"Well then," Iroh noted. "We better go and tell your parents that we're heading off tonight."

"Tonight?" I asked, shocked at how soon I was going to have to be leaving my home, my family. "Why so soon?"

"Well, "Iroh continued, "I suppose it is simply due to the fact that the men can't stay in the city for that much longer. We've been here for several weeks already, and I have no place to stay, aside from the ship. I wouldn't want to bother anyone by staying in their residence. I figure it would be the most practical course of action. We were only meant to be staying in the city until tomorrow anyway."

"Well, I assume you'd be fine staying here." I replied, taking what I thought was a hint. "We have a guest bedroom. We barely use it."

"Really? I wouldn't want to be a nuisance."

Iroh stated, looking down to the hardwood that covered our hallway's floors, and smiling. Was he joking?

"You wouldn't be." I said with a smile, still holding on to his hand. Wow. I didn't know I was still doing that. I released my grip. "Let's go tell my Dad."

"After you, love." Iroh coaxed, letting me pass him to walk into the dining room, where my parents, my brother and now, Kyaala were all seated. I could hear my wolf-dogs barking at the back door after returning from the field they played in during the day, now curious as to the new person in the house.

As I entered the room, I could sense that everyone was happy. My mother was smiling, her eyes wet, and my father was sitting back, his arms wrapped around the edges of the larger chair he sat in, beaming with what looked like quiet pride. My brother and Kyaala were looking at each other, exchanging quick smiles and giggles.

"Mom, Dad, Mat, Ky..." I began, "Iroh and I are going to be leaving for his ship in the morning" I noticed my family all quietly perk up in unison. "And we're going to be departing soon after." I paused, thankful that I'd be able to stay one last night with my family, and thankful I had got what I wanted so easily. Its as though Iroh had wanted to stay here the whole time. As far as asking for things or just saying how I felt in most situations, I had never been one to get right to the point. I usually talked in circles, but I didn't feel like it then.

"He'd like a place to stay the night-"

"OH of Course!" my mother cut me off. I knew where I got that trait from. "He can stay in the guest room! It's been so long since we've had visitors!"

"Thank you so much." Iroh chimed in. "I really appreciate the hospitality. If there's anything I can do to repay you, please let me know."

"You can take care of my girl." My father said, slowly rising from the table and pacing towards Iroh. He seemed to tense up.