Chapter 87

Miranda's POV

Thranduil looked across the bodies of his fallen soldiers, he was upset, but his gaze was unreadable. His chief lieutenant, Feren came up to him. "Recall your company," Thranduil ordered.

The horn blared loudly, as the refugee people of Laketown ran towards them.

"My Lord," Gandalf said, his voice urgent. "Dispatch this force to Ravenhill. The dwarves are about to be overrun. Thorin must be warned."

Thranduil's eyes grew hard as he scowled at the gray wizard. "By all means, warn him. I have spent enough elvish blood in defense of this accursed land. No more."

"Thranduil?" Gandalf called after him.

"I'll go," Bilbo said.

"Don't be ridiculous." Gandalf huffed. "You'll never make it."

"Why not?" Bilbo asked.

"Because they will see you coming and kill you," Gandalf replied.

"No," Bilbo responded. "They won't. They won't see me."

Gandalf frowned, "It is out of the question. I won't allow it."

Bilbo dipped his head slightly towards Gandalf and responded with a thin-lipped smile. "I'm not asking you to allow it, Gandalf." Gandalf's eyes filled with surprise before changing to worry as the hobbit ran off.

Bilbo ran behind a stone wall, then slipped the golden ring onto his finger. The world around him became blurry shadows of light and dark. He ran, ducking under clashing swords and jumping over dead bodies. Making his way towards Thorin.

~*~

Thranduil was marching his army back home when he was stopped by a familiar she-elf. His sword connected with an orc and he could see the elf more clearly.

"You will go no further." She told him. "You will not turn away. Not this time."

"Get out of my way." Thranduil ordered.

"The dwarves will be slaughtered." Tauriel replied, her voice breaking.

"Yes," Thranduil responded, walking towards the she-elf "They will die. Today, tomorrow, one year hence, a hundred years from now. What does it matter? They are mortal."

Tauriel pulled out her bow and aimed it at Lord Thranduil, he looked shocked. "You think your life is worth more than theirs when there is no love in it? There is no love in you." Tauriel spoke, her voice full of contempt.

Thranduil's jaw tightened and he looked away, only to swing his sword at her bow, slicing it into pieces. The King of Mirkwood pointed his sword at her. "What do you know of love? Nothing. What you feel for that dwarf is not real." A tear fell from Tauriel's eye as he continued. "You think it is love? Are you ready to die for it?" She gasped, when she felt Thranduil's sword leave her chest.

"If you harm her you will have to kill me," Legolas said to his father. Thranduil's brow knitted and his head lowered. Legolas turned to Tauriel, "I will go with you."