Greed

"There's nothing we can do. We've lost." Serot said.

"We're completely surrounded..." Altina shook as she fell to her knees.

They were in the throne room.

Altina was...

Broken.

"Damn this useless kingdom! Every damned person without a shed of loyalty!"

Serot didn't respond.

"Won't you try to hide?" he asked.

Altina shook her head.

"Hiding is for the weak."

"Enough of this." Serot said, his voice shaky.

"What...?" Altina looked up to her brother.

"You're blinded by your desperation for 'strength'. I would rather you be alive over this childish way of thinking!" Serot yelled.

"You say you want to protect me but what good would come out of staying here?" Serot cried as he fell to his knees as well.

"I..." Altina looked down.

Have I...

Have I been...

Selfish?

Instead of prioritizing my brother...

I became thirsty of what I already had.

"Sister... I... haven't been honest with you."

Altina looked up.

"What do you mean?"

"Every action I took... they were all to keep you from destroying Zealorus. Seeing you happy made me feel like everything was perfect, but... I realized if Zealorus was gone there wouldn't be any need for 'strength'. This kingdom would have crumbled and you would have lost your title as Empress..." his voice trailed off.

"I did my best to keep Zealorus from fighting back and to keep Vaequiles in power." he finished.

There was silence as they were both on their knees.

"I'm... I'm so sorry." Altina said, and the peaceful silence was abruptly interrupted by the sound of the room's doors being bashed open.