Two Morons and a Shopping Cart

John sat on the floor of his bedroom, leaning against the wall as he played on his phone. His shorter counterpart, Jaren, was rested on his bed watching the older man. Jaren’s gaze never fell and John could feel his eyes. After a few minutes, John couldn’t ignore it.

“Yes?” He asked as he looked up at him.

“I’m bored,” Jaren smiled and John laughed.

“Wanna go on a walk?” He suggested and Jaren pondered for a moment. Nodding, he confirmed.

“Yeah, let’s go,” He stood up, grabbing John’s hand and tugging him up from his spot and the floor and out of the room. The duo slipped on their shoes and headed out. John locked the door behind them while Jaren bounded down the steps and onto the sidewalk. The sky was dark as midnight approached, illumination from the streetlights caused reflections of light to bounce off of the damp asphalt. Jaren waited patiently as John walked down the stairs, meeting him on the sidewalk.

“Ready?” He asked and Jaren nodded.

“Let’s go!” He tugged the sleeve of John’s jacket and pulled him along as they walked along the pavement. The cold nipped at their noses as they walked down the highway. Sounds of traffic and commotion surrounded them wherever they walked. The streets were busy despite the hour, people heading home from work and other such things. The pair joke with each other, laughing and having a good time. They would occasionally catch the eyes of bypassers, but they payed them no mind. The two were lost in each other once again. Their energies had always mingled well and they loved being in one another’s company.

As they walked, the pair came across an overstreet bridge. They climbed up the hillside and sat on the edge of the bridge, watching the traffic flow beneath them. The two were laughing and joking with each other, leaning on each other.

“Your luck with the ladies is so shit,” John joked and Jaren’s head tipped back with laughter

“Well maybe I should just date you, then” He laughed and John smiled.

“I mean, I have had feelings for you for a while,” He laughed and Jaren paused for a moment, processing his best friend's words. He looked confused before speaking up.

“Wait, what? Like, really?” He sounded so confused that John couldn’t read his emotions from it. He shrugged.

“Yeah, I mean... Yeah,” He shrugged again and Jaren let out a soft ‘huh.’ He pondered for a moment.

“How did we not realize we had feelings for each other?” John’s attention snapped to Jaren’s face.

“Wait, hold up, you have feelings for me?”

“Yes, dummy, I make it so obvious,” He laughed and John looked dumbfounded.

“We really are fucking idiots.” They laughed loudly together before Jaren shifted closer to lean his head on John’s shoulder.

“Yeah, we are…” He trailed off. “Does this make us boyfriends now?” John nodded.

“I think so, if that’s cool with you?”

“Yeah, I like that.”

The duo stayed like this for a bit longer, enjoying the others' presence, before Jaren stood up and stretched. John looked up at the smaller quizzically, but Jaren simply reached out his hand to assist John up.

“I’m hungry, let’s go to the gas station,” Jaren said and John agreed. He took Jaren’s hand and stood up, watching as the younger bounded down the hill, nearly falling in the process. He chuckled to himself as he followed after him. Jaren reached a hand to John as he waited for him to catch up, grasping the older’s hand in his as soon as he did so. He beamed up at the taller brunette as they walked down the highway once more.

They arrived at the nearby gas station giggling and being playful with one another. As they entered the building, a very tired cashier gave them an annoyed glace. The two searched around for snacks and drinks while loudly joking and laughing, further annoying the poor cashier. Jaren bumped into a rack, nearly knocking it over, but catching it just in time. John laughed loudly at this. The cashier rolled his eyes as the two approached him. He scanned their items quickly and after paying, the duo scampered off.

As they walked off, they found a shopping cart near the end of a grocery store’s parking lot. The duo looked at each other as the one brain cell they both shared had aligned and grabbed the cart. Jaren hopped in the cart and John began running full speed down the sidewalk. They got a good distance down the path before the wheel of the cart caught on a rock and flipped the duo into the grass. As both boys laid on the ground, they began to laugh at their stupidity.

Through broken up laughter, John wheezed out a soft “Are you okay?” to which Jaren nodded.

“Yeah-” He paused to take a breath. “Yeah, I’m okay,” He giggled again. “Are you?”

“Yeah, me too,” John turned his head to look at Jaren. His breathing was slightly labored from running and laughing. He looked at the smaller’s features, admiring them, catching the attention of said boy. Jaren looked over to him and they locked eyes. They immediately burst into laughter once more.

After calming down a bit, John stands up, offering a hand to his partner. Jaren took it and thanked him. As the two stood face to face, John smiled and leaned closer, catching the shorter man in a soft kiss. Jaren had been pleasantly surprised by his actions, quickly reciprocating the kiss. He giggled into the kiss, causing John to smile. They looked into each other's eyes, the love they held in them was almost sweet enough to make you sick. John took a quick glance at his phone and noticed it was nearly 3am.

“We should head home,” John suggested and Jaren nodded.

“Yeah, it’s late.” They took each other’s hand and began walking back towards John’s house. Once they reached the steps, Jaren stopped and kissed John. “Is it alright if I stay?” John smiled brightly.

“Of course,” He beamed. The pair went inside and spent the rest of the night cuddling and watching movies together.