Chapter 52

A Day of Apologizes and Conclusions

(Y/n) stood in Erwin's office. He sat on his green couch. His blue eyes staring at her, waiting for her to speak. He waves his hand to give her permission to speak. She frowns, "I have bad news."

"I'm listening" he gives her a small smile to make her feel less anxious.

She takes a deep breath in, "About a few nights ago, I was forced to shadow travel to Shiganshina. My cousin and I have a link that allowed him to call me to where he was. He's stationed there with Reiner and Bertholdt."

"I saw Ymir too, but she's most likely gone now. I spoke with my cousin and I found out his name is Adonis De Paz. He's Nikolas's son, although, I don't know who his mother is. It seems that it doesn't matter in this situation."

"He told me that he knew we were going to march into Shiganshina to retake it. He also gave me two options. He told me to either back away from the fight and Caleb's life will be spared, or fight and Caleb will die. Levi is the only one who knows this," she summarizes what had happened.

"You did not see Ava or the person who could possibly be the Beast Titan?" Erwin questions and she shakes her head.

"No sign of them," she reassures him.

He frowns down at the coffee table, "This is a dangerous predicament. They know that you are a key part in taking back Shiganshina. Without you, more than half will die and I can't ensure that those deaths won't be some of your friends too."

"Is this why Levi got into that altercation with Caleb? To keep him from going on the expedition?" Erwin asks.

"Yes, you are correct," she responds, "What will we do?"

"I conversed with Hanji earlier today and she assured me that Caleb is capable of participating in the expedition. I can keep him from going, but we both know your brother won't sit still while everyone else dies. You probably got that trait from him."

"Caleb will join the fight no matter what. So the question is, are you ready to let your brother die in the name of saving everyone else?" he asks her.

She gulps down the saliva building up in her mouth. Anxiety floods her veins at the question. No, she wasn't ready to let her brother die. No one's life is ensured in the battlefield, not even her own life. She bites down on her bottom lip.

"I don't know" she finally says after a long pause of silence.

"I suggest you speak with your brother about this and say your goodbyes" he mutters the last part but she heard it.

She takes a deep heavy breath in, blinking away the tears, "I'll do that. Thank you, Erwin."

He sadly nods his head. His gloomy blue eyes watch her figure leave through the crack of the door. He sighs as he leans back onto the couch. He places his face in his hand. He didn't want to imagine the pain she was going to go through after Shiganshina.

A small part of him wished that he could shelter her. Take her away from all the suffering of the world, but he knew he couldn't do that. He had to let her learn. In his eyes, she was still a kid. He sighs deeply. He knew that he was marching everyone and himself into their early grave.

Hundreds of deaths will be on his hands. So many had died under his command already. He couldn't handle the pressure enough, especially when he held (Y/n) close to his heart. He brings his hand down to his chest and grips onto his white button-up shirt. His heart ached.

Caleb sat in his own office. Erwin had given him Mike's old office. Caleb felt bad for taking the office of a dead man, but he needed somewhere to think. He rests his chin on his hand as he reads through the paperwork. It was really depressing.