The Crossroads of Destiny

Zuko's POV
As uncle and I stepped off of the carriage he told me,

"Many times I imagined myself here, at the threshold of the palace, but I always thought I would be here as a conquerer. Instead, we are the Earth King's personal guests, here to serve him tea. Destiny is a funny thing."

"It sure is uncle."

It was just the two of us. Y/N had insisted that she stayed home, she had no interest in serving the Earth King tea and thought that it'd be a nice moment for uncle and I to share together, alone.

We sat at a table in the palace together for a while, as uncle poured the tea I sighed,

"What's taking so long?"

"Maybe the Earth King overslept?"

As he suggested that, many of the officials dressed the same as those who arrested Jet surrounded us- it gave me an eery feeling.

I leaned over to uncle and whispered,

"Somethings not right."

Then that something, became clear.

My sister, Princess Azula, joined them:

"It's tea time."

I jumped up:

"Azula!"

"Have you met the Dai Li? They're earth benders but they have a killer instinct that's so fire bender. I just love it."

Uncle took a sip of tea as he begun,

"Did I ever tell you how I got the nickname: the Dragon of the West?"

Azula rolled her eyes,

"I'm not interested in a lengthy anecdote, uncle."

"It's more of a demonstration really."

I smirked before ducking beside him, I knew what he was going to do.

As he sipped the last of his tea he turned to the rest of the room breathing fire all around us before we sprinted for the door, escaping.

Bam. Bam. Bam.

Rocks crashed into the walls behind us, the Dai Li.

As we came to a dead end, uncle blasted a hole in the wall for us to escape through with lightning, before jumping out himself, landing in some rubble.

I stopped and stared down at him, this has gone on long enough, I can never be happy if I don't face my problems head on. I thought I was content with life, but really I had woken up this morning having buried my troubles.

Uncle shouted up to me,

"Come on! You'll be fine!"

"No. I'm tired of running. It's time I faced Azula."

Azula stared at me and mocked,

"You're so dramatic. What? Are you going to challenge me to an Agni Kai?"

I furrowed my eyebrow,

"Yes! I challenge you!"

But she shrugged her shoulders and smugly declined,

"No, thanks."

I pulled back before thrusting forward, sending a ball of flames in her direction, but she didn't even move a muscle, the Dai Li blocked my attack before binding my hands and legs.

They threw me in an underground cave filled with crystals, when I looked up I realised I wasn't alone, I was stuck in here with the peasant girl from the Southern Water Tribe, Katara.