Return to the Fire Nation

Zuko's POV
I stood at the edge of the ship, alone, staring out into the horizon.

"Aren't you cold?"

I glanced over to the voice, it was Mai. I turned back to the dark sea that was lit by only the light of the moon,

"I've got a lot on my mind. It's been so long. Over three years since I was home. I wonder what's changed. I wonder how I've changed."

She yawned,

"I just asked if you were cold. I didn't ask for your whole life story."

A little smile formed on her face as she made her way over to me, she placed her arm around my neck and pulled my face towards her,

"Stop worrying."

Then she placed a gentle kiss on my lips, and I didn't expect it to, but it felt right. I realised, Mai is always going to be here. Y/N isn't, sooner or later she's going to return to the army and leave me alone again.

Whatever this is that I had with Mai, that was safe and something I could be certain of, and maybe if I let it develop, it'll hurt a lot less when Y/N leaves.

Once I had returned to the palace, the servants prepared me for a ceremony, they dressed me in the garments of a royal warrior and put my hair into a bun with my crown on my head.

They were going to formally announce my return, I sighed, waiting to make my appearance as Lo and Li spoke out to the crowd.

"Your Princess Azula, clever and beautiful, disguised herself as the enemy and entered the Earth Kingdom's capital. In Ba Sing Se, she found her brother, Zuko, and together they faced the avatar. And the avatar fell, and the Kingdom fell! Azula's agents quickly overtook the entire city; they went to Ba Sing Se's great walls and brought them down. The armies of the Fire Nation surged through the wall, and swarmed over Ba Sing Se, securing our victory. Now the heroes have returned home. Your princess, Azula!"

My sister stepped forward and revealed herself to the crowd, she was met by praise and applause as she looked down upon them.

"And after three long years, your prince has returned, Zuko!"

I couldn't bring myself to smile, I wasn't happy, I wasn't content, but I stepped forwards and was met by praise and applause as I looked down at the people of my nation.

Later in the day, I sat by the turtle-duck pond, feeding the turtle-ducks, like I used to, staring at the ripples in the water.

This is what I wanted. So why has nothing changed?

"I thought I'd find you here."

I looked up and saw Y/N standing behind me, with more food for the turtle-ducks. She sent me a warm smile, which I returned as she sat on the ground beside me and began to feed the turtle-ducks.

"Hi Y/N, what've you been doing today?"

"Well I got to the palace this morning to train with your sister."

So she's training again already?

"When are you leaving?"

"What?"

"To go back to the front lines, I mean"

"Oh... a few weeks probably..."

I nodded.

I knew she was going to leave, there was so much I wanted to do, so much I wanted to tell her, but all she wants is to serve our nation, she's going to leave, just as I had thought. All that was on her mind was becoming as good as a general as her father is.

She has barely been sixteen, she already wants to work her way through the army ranks.

The turtle-ducks scurried away as a shadow cast over them, I turned around and was met by my sister,

"You seem so downcast. Has Mai gotten to you already? Though actually, Mai has been in a strangely good mood lately."

I furrowed my eyebrow, not making eye contact with her,

"I haven't seen dad yet. I haven't seen him in three years, since I was banished."

"So, what?"

"So, I didn't capture the avatar."

"Who cares? The avatar's dead."

I turned away from her before she continued,

"Unless, you think he somehow miraculously survived."

The water that Katara had, from the spirit oasis, she said it had special properties... what if that meant...

"No. There's no way he could've survived."

"Well, then I'm sure you have nothing to worry about. Feel free to join me for some sparring this evening, Y/N"

Then she walked away.

Y/N placed her hand on my shoulder,

"Zuko, don't worry so much, you're a hero."

I sighed.

Later on, I made my way into the throne room to see my father.

I bowed before him as he told me,

"You have been away for a long time. I see the weight of your travels has changed you. You have redeemed yourself, my son. Welcome home. I am proud of you, Zuko. I am proud because you and your sister conquered Ba Sing Se. I am proud because when your loyalty was tested by your treacherous uncle, you did the right thing and captured the traitor. And I am proudest of all of your most legendary accomplishment. You slayed the avatar."

I felt my heart skip a beat.

I didn't slay the avatar, Azula did.

"What did you hear?"

"Azula told me everything. She said she was amazed and impressed with your power and ferocity at the moment of truth."

I darted my eyes away, I've been welcomed home for something I didn't do.

Once I was dismissed, I went to Azula's room,

"Why'd you do it?"

She didn't move from her bed,

"You're going to have to be a little more specific."

"Why did you tell father that I was the one who killed the avatar?"

"Can't this wait until morning?"

"It can't."

She sighed,

"Fine. You seemed so worried about how father would treat you because you hadn't captured the avatar. I figured, if I gave you the credit, you'd have nothing to worry about."

"But, why?"

"Call it a generous gesture. I wanted to thank you for your help, and I was happy to share the glory."

"You're lying."

Azula always lies.

"If you say so."

"You have another motive for doing this. I just haven't figured out what it is."

"Please, Zuko. What ulterior motive could I have? What could I possibly gain by letting you get all the glory for defeating the avatar? Unless, somehow, the avatar was actually alive. All that glory would suddenly turn to shame and foolishness. But you said yourself, that was impossible. Sleep well, Zuzu."

But it wasn't impossible.

What was I supposed to do?

The only people I can trust are uncle and Y/N, uncle is now a prisoner and I can't turn up to Y/N's house at this time of night.

I stormed back to my room and collapsed on my bed.

What was I going to do?