CHAPTER FOURTEEN

A/N-

I opened my eyes slowly as I adjusted my eyes to the light. I was confused where I was, but looking at all the tubes I was now connected to, I think where I was is now glaring to me. Dang it! I was in the hospital. I so hate this place.

"She's awake honey." I heard my mom yell to someone outside, probably my dad.
"My ear mom... My ear. Can't you like reduce your voice to like ten decibels." I asked, nicely, okay not nicely but it's understandable. I was having this massive headache and my mom's shouting increased it a top notch.

"I'm so sorry dear... When Mason called me, I thought... I thought..." Mom hiccuped and turned into the chest of my Dad, as she started crying. After sometime, she got a hold of her emotions and turned back to me.
"I'm so sorry that my emotions got the better part of me, I'm not usually like this..." Mom was saying, when she noticed my Dad and I sharing an amused look, "What?" She asked.
"Mom, save that reply for people that don't know you. You are always this emotional. Right Dad?" I asked, knowing that my Dad will most certainly agree with me.
"Right." Dad smiled and avoided mom's burning glare.
"Yeah, go ahead and support her. See if you don't get the couch." Mom playfully threatened Dad.

Dad pulled her into a hug as they both started laughing. I was happy that I was able to reduce the tension in this room. The word death is just hanging on every inch of this room.

"So we were about to go bed, when Mason's call came in. At first I couldn't understand what he was saying cause he was really sounding panicky, so I told him to calm down. That's when I was able to pick three words, Hailey, fainted, hospital. I was so scared 'cause your dad and I were about to bed thinking you were also in bed already, you know how you and Mason go to each other's bedroom through any of you guys balcony. I thought that was the case. So we ran to the hospital, Mason said you've been in coma for three hours and the doctor asked him some questions but he was confused so he called us for better clarification." Mom finished.

"So, where is Mason?" I said, looking around like he'll miraculously appear.
"Bless his soul, he's been here for the past three days you've been in coma..." Mom was saying, when I interrupted her with a gasp, "Three days!" I asked as my eyes widened in surprise.

"Yes, three days. Like I was saying before you interrupted me, he's been here for three days but we finally pressured him to go home 'cause he's been looking like a ghost. It was 'cause of him that we were able to go back home to freshen up a bit."
"Does he know?" I asked meekly, even though I know that there's no way he would have stayed for three days and won't even hear a thing about it.

"Know about what?" Mom asked looking really confused.
"My cancer, mom, my cancer." I raised my voice a bit so she can hear me better.
Mom looked really shocked, "He didn't know? You didn't tell him before now? Why?" Mom asked one question after the other.
I muttered, "I was ashamed."

"Ashamed? About something you couldn't even help? What in the world is wrong with you Hailey, he..."
"Mom, everyone that knows about my disease treat me different, no offense to you guys for caring but is it bad if I wanted a shot of normalcy around him and my other friends. I just didn't want anyone to treat me different."

"That is very shallow of you," Mom scolded me gently, "I don't know about any of your other friends but I know Mason, Scarlett, Brittany, Xavier and Ryder. You guys have been close for years. They're like your family and they deserve to know the truth. So what were you planning? To die and never tell them about your sickness?" Mom asked.
When I didn't reply, my silence confirmed her suspicion.

"Wait... You wanted to do that? So let's assume, while they're having geometry one morning they'll receive a call that you're gone. Then still in shock, they'll attend the burial and discover you had cancer all along and you never told them. Do you know how betrayed they're going to feel?"
"I'm protecting them from the pain!" I defended weakly.