Chapter 63

It was a month later, and things were slowly but surely returning to normal. Ethan and I had both giving our individual statements to the police and were trying our best to move on. 

 Ironically, the tape that Connor had left in the room to try and blackmail me with, provided excellent evidence for his assault, and he was almost immediately convicted.

 To my relief, April was also arrested. I was worried that they might go easier on her because she didn't look like your stereotypical rapist, but my dad ensured that no leniency would be given, and fought hard to make sure she was being punished as badly as Connor.

Today was also my birthday. I was eighteen now, meaning I was officially an adult. I had planned to spend the day with my friends, but for some reason, they all decided to be dicks and had various reasons for why they couldn't come.

 Even my so-called boyfriend had flaked, saying he had given himself food poisoning. The stupid idiot needed to learn how to check the best-before dates on his food properly.

 So, to cheer myself up, I was currently kicked back on the sofa with my feet up, shoveling popcorn into my mouth as I watched some random movie on Netflix. That's when the doorbell decided to ring.

I groaned in annoyance, feeling too lazy to move. Reluctantly, I flung the blanket off my lap and stomped my way to the door. My parents were upstairs, so I knew they would yell at me to open the door. I swear if it's just another idiot trying to sell something, I'm not going to hesitate to slam the door in their face.

 I opened the door and nearly shat myself as a stream of confetti came flying towards my face along with some cheers.

 "What the fuck?" I screamed in shock as I stared wide-eyed at my cackling friends on the doorstep.

 Ethan, May, Chloe and Lucas, all stood on my doorstep. They were laughing their assess off, probably incredibly amused by the startled expression on my face. 

"It's your birthday Mia. Did you really think we ditched you?" May snorted. 

I looked away in embarrassment, realizing I had fallen for one of the most basic and oldest birthday tricks in the world. Ethan's amused face then caught my eye, and I crossed my arms and looked at him with narrowed eyes. 

"Food poisoning?" I said flatly. 

"Hey, it wasn't my idea. Lucas thought it would be funny if you thought everyone had ditched," Ethan explained quickly, not hesitating for a second at throwing Lucas under the bus.

 I glared at Lucas and shook my head. "You guys are mean," I complained, trying hard to fight a smile from appearing on my face.

"But you love us anyway," Chloe sang in excitement. 

 I just let out a heavy sigh and reluctantly let the lunatics into the house.

I took them into the living room and flopped back down on to the sofa. My eyes lit up like a child as I saw that everyone had brightly wrapped gifts in their hands. 

"Yay, presents, gimmie!" I shouted rudely.

 Ethan snorted and crashed down beside me on the sofa. He put an arm around me with a chuckle.

 "Are you sure you're actually eighteen and not seven or something?" he teased.

 I arched an eyebrow at him. "Well, you better hope I'm eighteen otherwise that makes you a pedo, babe," I retorted bluntly.

 He just rolled his eyes at me, likely for a lack of a good comeback. 

I always would, and always would be the comeback queen