03

——

03 - Pranks and Detention

——

The next morning, Charlie decided to eat breakfast at the Gryffindor table with Hestia. Not before he planned his revenge on Ben for being annoying though.

"CHARLES MORETTI!" Ben's angry shout rang through the Great Hall, making everyone jump and Charlie try to hide behind Hestia as she was sat with her back to the door where Ben had just stormed in and hopefully was blocking him from Ben's view.

Hestia grinned and whispered, "What did you do?"

"I may or may not have dyed his hair neon pink while he slept." Charlie whispered back, pulling his beanie further down onto his head and trying to sink further into his seat, hoping the ground would swallow him up.

"That's the oldest trick in the book Chaz, could you not have been more original?" Hestia whispered back. Both teenagers were aware of an extremely angry Ben searching the Hall for Charlie and were trying to stay lowkey, which was hard because Charlie stuck out like a sore thumb at the table full of scarlet robes with his yellow ones.

"It comes off after an hour, I didn't want to do anything permanent that might upset him. Or anything too mean." Charlie explained.

Hestia smirked and said, "Still seems pretty mean to me."

"Really?"

"Nope. Geez you're such a Hufflepuff sometimes."

"I ... I am a Hufflepuff though?" Charlie said, tilting his head to the side quizzically and furrowing his brow.

Suddenly Hestia's face paled as she stared at something behind Charlie.

"He's behind me, isn't he?" Charlie asked.

Hestia slowly nodded and Charlie turned to see an extremely angry Ben stood behind him with his arms crossed, tapping his foot. His usually dark brown hair was neon pink, which Charlie thought actually suited him but didn't dare say that as Ben was already angry enough.

"Um ... hey Ben. How are you?" Charlie asked innocently and slightly awkwardly. He could feel the eyes of the entire Hall on them which was making him nervous as he didn't really like attention. He hadn't really though this whole pranking plan through.

"Don't you "Hey Ben. How are you?" me you little git! I know you did this!" Ben hissed.

Charlie gulped and then said quietly, "If it helps, I think neon pink really suits you?"

It didn't help.

"THAT'S IT! COME HERE YOU LITTLE BRAT!" Ben shouted.

Charlie squealed and vaulted over the table (almost knocking over a stack of toast and Hestia's pumkin juice) as he made a run for it, Ben hot on his heels.

Charlie spotted Sam entering the Hall with Abby and immediately made a beeline towards her. Ben was right behind him and was gaining quickly. Damn his long legs.

He grabbed Sam by the shoulders and he spun her so that he was behind her and he was using her as a human shield against Ben's oncoming attack.

"HELP ME!" Charlie shouted at her.

Sam snorted when she saw Ben.

"Did you do that Chaz?" She asked with a proud smirk.

"Maybe." Charlie muttered.

"My little baby's all grown up." Sam faked a sob loudly, wiping away a pretend tear.

     They both watched Ben slow as he approached the pair. Abby was stood slightly to the side, watching with wide eyes, along with the rest of the student body (and the few teachers that were present and couldn't be bothered to intervene).

"Move Sam." Ben said.

"Pink suits you Ben." Sam smirked.

Ben clenched his jaw as he glowered at Charlie cowering behind Sam. "Shut up. Not very brave now are we Chaz?"

"Well I'm not a Gryffindor, am I?" Charlie replied, still cowering behind Sam.

"You have five seconds to run." Ben warned.

"Now now Ben, peace is still an option..." Charlie tried to reason with the pink haired boy.

"Peace was never an option Chaz. War was declared the moment you made my hair neon pink." Ben replied with a dangerous grin.

Charlie knew that grin.

He immediately made another run for it, this time heading for the Hufflepuff table in the hopes of somehow blending in.

Unfortunately for Charlie, Ben was tall and Charlie was not, which meant Ben had long legs and Charlie didn't.

Ben caught Charlie around the waist and lifted him up over his shoulder, grinning evilly. "Gotcha!"

"NOOO!" Charlie shouted, wriggling manically. "Sam! Hestia! Help me!"

The two girls just smirked and watched as a pink haired Ben carried a wriggling Charlie out of the Hall. Charlie's pleas for help could be heard echoing down the hallways, getting fainter and fainter the further away he was carried.

He eventually gave up on trying to escape and just let Ben carry him, resigned to his fate.

Charlie started struggling again the moment he saw where Ben was headed.

"No! Don't do this Ben!" Charlie shouted.

The last thing Charlie saw was Ben's smirk as he was thrown into the lake.

His squeal was cut short as he was submerged in the ice-cold water.

A few seconds later, Charlie emerged from the water (spluttering loudly) and started paddling back towards the shore. Ben was stood by the edge of the Lake doubled over laughing.

He climbed out of the Lake and approached Ben. Charlie grinned evilly when he had an idea.

"Want a hug?" He held out his arms. His robes were soaked and dripping water everywhere, his curls were plastered to his forehead, and his beanie hat was also completely soaked and had a few plants sticking out of the folded up rim. A drop of water dropped from the end of a curl and trickled down his back, making him shiver.

Ben's eyes widened and suddenly he started running away from Charlie.

The two boys ran through the castle laughing loudly as Charlie chased after Ben, dripping water everywhere.

Eventually, the shorter boy managed to latch himself onto Ben's back and smother him in water. For a minute they both stood there dripping water onto the floor and laughing at their own stupidity. That is until a fuming Argus Filch arrived upon the scene along with an unamused Professor Dipwit (the new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher).

"Detention. Both of you. Eight o'clock with Filch, tonight. My office. Do not be late." She spat disapprovingly before walking away with a smug looking Filch following behind her.

Charlie and Ben looked at each other.

Ben's hair started fading back to its usual dark brown.

"Worth it?" Ben asked with a grin.

"Worth it." Charlie grinned back.