Chapter XXV

Aquaria watched from behind the hay stacks as the shots were fired. Four to be exact.

With each shot, amber erupted around the Cassandra cutouts.

It finally worked!

"Alright Team Awesome!" Varian stood up with Eugene, both of them moving their goggles to their head. They high fived and then bumped butts. "Project: Obsidian is a success!"

Aqua stood as well, moving her goggles up onto her head. "Finally!"

"Project: Obsidian?" Rapunzel walked over with a confused but curious look on her face.

"Project: Obsidian!" Varian started with a smile. "It's a device that can destroy Cassandra-dra's self esteem!" He corrected himself after Eugene nudged him. He then quickly slipped away and Aqua grimaced.

"Eugene, we are not attacking Cassandra," Rapunzel said seriously.

"Of course, we're not going to attack her, sunshine. But I'm captain of the guard now. I have to be prepared to protect our people from any contingencies," Eugene explained to Rapunzel before Varian shot at the last Cassandra cutout. "But I'm-" he was cut off by more shooting from Varian.

Aqua flinched and gave Varian a hard look to which he quickly stopped. He walked over to the group with a sheepish smile.

"But I won't use this thing without your approval," Eugene continued as he pulled out a contract with a solemn expression.

"Princess, believe me. I don't want to hurt Cass either, but we can't promise that she won't try to hurt us." Varian frowned and Aquaria put a hand on his shoulder.

"None of us want this but, sis, we do need it," Aqua added.

"Okay. I will sign it to protect Corona. But we won't need it because I know the Cass we love is still in there somewhere," Rapunzel said and she took the quill Eugene held up, signing the contract.

Aqua looked down and sighed softly before she felt a hand on her shoulder. She glanced up at Eugene who was giving her a reassuring smile.

"Everything is gonna be alright. I just know it," Eugene said as he hugged Rapunzel, Aqua, and Varian.

👑

"I regret to inform you that in light of recent events, I have decided to exercise caution and cancel the Goodwill Festival this year," King Frederic announced and Aqua slumped as she heard the displeasure amongst the crowd of Coronans.

"Unless anyone has any objections?" Rapunzel spoke up and looked into the crowd with hope.

"Rapunzel, we talked about this," Frederic said quietly to his eldest daughter.

"I know we did, dad, but I still think we need to let the people decide. Hmm?" Rapunzel looked at parents.

Queen Arianna put a hand on her husband's arm and gave a curt nod.

Frederic sighed and gave in. "Very well."

"If the Goodwill Festival is important to you, speak now or forever hold your peace!" Rapunzel announced to the crowd.

"I'm with you, princess!" A voice called out and the royal family looked out to see Father in the crowd with his fist raised.

"Faith, really?" Rapunzel looked excited.

"Whoa, coming out of her shell," Eugene commented.

"Look, we don't always have control over what happens to us, but we can choose how we respond to it, right?" Faith looked around. "So when tough times come to Corona, Corona fights back by doubling it's good cheer! That's why we're gonna make this the best Goodwill Festival ever!"