C H A P T E R T H I R T E E N

Song: Again by Wande Coal

T W O W E E K S L A T E R

RING RING. CHIDINMA TOOK in a breath as she called her mother on WhatsApp. She had decided to call the guests individually to inform them of the cancelled wedding and wanted to end with her mother. After spending a week in disarray and tears, she decided to, well, grow a pair and be an adult. But that did not mean her heart did not hurt any less.

"Allo, Chidinma, I hope you are not calling me to tell me that the number of guests has reduced again, oh? I had to tell so many people that they are not coming to the wedding,"

Chidinma laughed ironically. No one will be coming to any wedding, she wanted to say, but saying it out loud made it real.

"Mummy, ndewo. How are you?" Chidinma started, picking at her jollof rice as she remembered the plate of jollof Xante had made for her. Sadly, she dropped her spoon, before she started crying.

"Me, I'm fine oh. My firstborn child is getting married. I am at Balogun Market picking out aso-ebi for that day. You said your colors are dark green and cream, abi?" Her mother said happily among the hustle of the crowd.

"Mummy, the wedding is cancelled," Chidinma spoke with certainty and a pin drop silence occurred. Her mother sniffed and called out to one woman in the background of the store.

"Eh, give me that green and gold one there. How much?" Her mother bargained.

"Mummy, did you hear me?" Chidinma asked in disbelief, expecting her to walk out of the store.

"Chidinma Adaobi Ndidi, I heard you. What are the colors of the wedding, again?" Chidinma was in shock. She scoffed and began to tell her mother everything that happened. From going to Xante's home and meeting Candy, the girls sneaking up on her and Xante's pathetic excuse and her telling him of her infertility. By the end of her rant, she was sobbing with tears furiously falling down her face. Silence transpired between the two women and Chidinma's mother sighed.

"What are the colors of your wedding in 2 months, Chidinma?" Her mother insisted and Chidinma began to bawl her eyes out once more.

"Mummy, there is no wedding!"

"Why?"

What kind of useless question is that? Chidinma thought in indignation, but like a good Nigerian child, she took a breath and answered, "Because, he lied to me-"

"And he told you that he has real, tangible proof that he did not. In fact, he gave it to you," Her mother interrupted sharply, "So, Chidinma, why is the wedding cancelled?"

Chidinma had no answer. She had yet to open the file Xante gave her because she was afraid. She was afraid that he was telling the truth, especially when she had told him and his family that she would be useless to them as a mother.