𝓢𝓬𝓮𝓷𝓮 𝟕𝟔

❈✱❉✤❈✱❉

The last Jedi.

It was a thought that hadn't occurred to Astrid; the fact that her and Anakin's children could be the last Jedi, the last generation of Jedi overall. Crushing sadness-- like heavy weights laid atop her chest-- washed over Astrid at the thought.

She lifted her eyes to Obi-Wan as she pleaded in a soft voice, "Train them, Obi-Wan, please, so that they may be able to protect themselves when the time comes."

Obi-Wan looked reluctant. His eyes filled with regret as he hesitated, and then he answered quietly, "I can't, Astrid."

"Why not?" Astrid demanded, surprised by his refusal.

Indignation rose within her. She was forever grateful to Obi-Wan for watching over Luke and Leia for the time being, but if she didn't return for years to come, then she wanted Obi-Wan to train them as Jedi-- it was her one and only wish, or perhaps a better word for it was, requirement.

Obi-Wan merely shook his head before explaining in a slow, careful voice as if he was choosing his words wisely and selectively, "I was not a very good mentor for Anakin. I realize that in hindsight. I cannot trust myself to be a good enough mentor for the twins."

"What do you mean you weren't a good mentor to Anakin?" Astrid exclaimed, incredulous. Leia stirred in her arms, and Astrid quickly lowered her voice but kept her terse tone as she continued, "Obi-Wan, you were what kept Anakin from losing control when his temperament sometimes got ahead of him! Anakin--"

"Did deplorable things," Obi-Wan finished for her, and Astrid shot him a look at his interruption. Obi-Wan sighed before saying solemnly, "Astrid, you saw firsthand the monstrosities he committed. He slaughtered an entire Tusken camp and--"

He cut himself abruptly short, a brief look of alarm flashing across his face, and Astrid frowned. Obi-Wan merely shook his head before finishing, "Anakin was a Jedi with a traumatizing past, and who, despite his older age, was accepted into the Order when he really shouldn't have been. I opposed it, myself."

Astrid's breath hitched at his words. She hadn't known Obi-Wan had protested against Anakin's acceptance into the Order.

Obi-Wan continued, "Because of his past and older age, Anakin harbored tendencies towards the Dark Side. I was not the right mentor for him. I did not-- and do not-- face the struggles he faced, the pull of the Dark Side he was constantly fighting against. My former master, Qui Gon Jinn would've been the perfect master for Anakin, but he died, and he made me promise to train Anakin, so I did."

Obi-Wan shook his head with mixture of regret and disappointment as he said, "Master Yoda should've seen I wasn't right for Anakin." His voice turned sorrowful as he continued, "I wasn't able to understand Anakin and therefore help him. He did not trust me enough to help him because he knew I wouldn't understand."

Astrid's heart broke at the grief in his voice.

Her voice lowered as she reassured him softly, "But, Obi-Wan, Anakin never chose the Dark Side. He always remained a Jedi." Obi-Wan only turned his gaze to the ground, so Astrid continued tentatively, "I trust you to be able to properly train Luke and Leia,  Obi-Wan. You are an excellent mentor."

Obi-Wan finally looked up at her, and his eyes roamed her face, searching for signs of deception, but he saw only open honesty and the earnesty in which she looked at him. He sighed heavily before caving, "Fine, I will train them when they show signs of being Force-sensitive."

Astrid let out a relieved breath. "Thank you, Obi-Wan."

He only offered her a small, but tight smile. As he turned away to walk into the kitchen to prepare them dinner, Astrid thought she saw a shadow in his eyes, and she couldn't help but sense through the Force that Obi-Wan was hiding something critical.