Chapter 27

Everyone yelled in surprise as the wall that was supposed to be our protection completely crumbled around us. The mutants from earlier came through the rubble and seeing them again made my stomach drop. Things just went from bad to worse. We had no other choice at this point but to fight them.

Everyone got into a fighting stance and Warren reared back his wings. We seemed ready, but I know how dangerous this really is. 

Instinctively, we split into teams, taking on the mutants. Jean and I barely dodged a fireball from Pyro when we jumped to the side. 

"Let's get them outside! It'll give us the upperhand." Jean's voice echoed in my mind. I looked around and noticed that the rest of the team was nodding, so they must have gotten the message too.

Using his lasers, Scott hit the glass panel, shattering it. Warren and Magneto flew out of the bunker followed by the rest of us. I felt a strong grip on my arm as I began lowering to the ground at a slower pace. Looking up, I saw Warren with a look of determination on his face. Magneto helped the rest, and almost immediately after everyone was safely on the ground Kurt grabbed Jubilee and teleported her out of the way of another fireball. The ground then started shaking violently as Avalanche used his powers.

"Kurt, help me take him on!" Warren called out from above, spreading his wings wider and showering Avalanche with sharp blades

I looked over to see Magneto and Juggernaut were fighting each other, but it was hard to tell who was winning. I ducked as a piece of metal came flying in my direction. These two were causing even more destruction by tearing apart the metal pieces of the bunker and using them as weapons. 

Jean and I had to take on Blob and Toad, but I was confident that we would be able to take them down. Jean was working on defeating Blob while I was busy dodging Toad's attacks. When I finally got close enough, a solid kick to the head was more than enough to knock him out. Jean had taken away Blob's consciousness at the same time, leaving the two mutants limp on the ground. I gave her a quick nod and looked over to make sure everyone else was still holding strong.

Jubilee, Peter and Scott were working on taking down Pyro, when I heard a huge scrape. Juggernaut had completely torn off a huge support beam from the bunker and was getting ready to throw it at Magneto. All of a sudden, Magneto jumped out of the way, avoiding the beam at the last second while Jubilee jumped in the direction it was headed, in an attempt to escape Pyro's attack. She was so focused on avoiding fire, she had no clue the support beam was hurtling straight towards her.

"Jubilee, watch out!" I yelled, trying to get her attention

Jubilee turned around coming face-to-face with the support beam right as it was too late. Her eyes widened and I gasped as everything seemed to go down in slow motion. Peter used his superspeed, rushing in Jubilee's direction. He wrapped one arm around her waist and steered her out of the way of the beam. The force of Peter's speed knocked both of them onto the ground, landing in a way where Peter was hovered over Jubilee who seemed speechless for maybe the first time in her life. She had a slight blush on her cheeks and kept avoiding eye contact with Peter, who seemed very concerned. Jubilee inhaled a shaky breath and finally met Peter's gaze.

"Are you ok?" He furrowed his brows, scanning Jubilee's face

"I-I-umm, mhm..." She trailed off as her blush darkened

"Are you sure?" Peter raised an eyebrow

"Yeah" Jubilee giggled awkwardly "Thanks for uh...saving me, I guess"

"Of course, you would've done the same for me"

"Oh, umm, yeah" She replied, neither of them not moving from their position