Neighbors

Chapter Two

Vivian was already home by the time the yellow beater made it into the driveway. I opened the door to find her spread out across the floor, several stones placed across her body while a harp played from the speakers nestled on the entertainment unit on either side of the television. Still not knowing I was in the room, she sighed softly to herself in contentment.

"Hey Viv, it's your week to pick the movie we watch, any thoughts?" Mel walked into the room, her eyes on her phone as she plopped on the couch, she too not noticing my presence.

"If I were a burglar, I could've stolen the TV, stereo, and both of our laptops without you even knowing," I stated, both of the women screaming upon the realization that there was, in fact, another person in the room.

"You bitch!" Viv pointed at me, her nose scrunched in disapproval. Before I could even attempt to hide how hilarious I found them, I threw my head back in laughter, my nose producing an ever-so-classy snort as I walked to my bedroom. I threw my backpack and phone onto my bed, quickly changing into a pastel pink colored footie pajama set, something that was made mandatory by Vivian in our weekly movie nights. As I walked out of my bedroom, I threw my hair into a messy bun atop my head and settled onto the couch. Vivian was next to file into the living room in a footie pajama set that only differed from mine by its baby blue color, a DVD case in hand as she approached the TV set.

"Tonight's movie selection has been made by longtime film critic Vivian Tyler, whose expertise is that of the 1980s and 90s romances." I narrated as she slid the DVD into the correct slot, allowing it to load.

"Shut up, nerd." She chuckled, grabbing the remote from the coffee table before plopping down next to me. Mel exited the bathroom in her black footie pajama set that she felt matched any shade of her hair no matter what color she dyed it. Vivian couldn't fight that logic.

"So what movie will it be this week, Viv? Are you switching it up from the usual Runaway Bride and Mystic Pizza?" Melany grumbled amusingly, a knowing smirk on her lips. Viv flipped her middle finger up at each of us and nodded toward the screen.

"Zip your lips, bitches. My movie is starting."

After all the commercials had played, we realized Viv's pick was not far from her usual staple films, but it was her week to pick so Mel and I quietly watched Pretty Woman. Vivian is a huge fan of Julia Roberts.

"God, I love this part." Vivian whispered, mouthing the dialogue, "'You're late.' 'You're stunning.' 'You're forgiven.'" Mel and I smiled at each other, both admiring Viv for her cheesiness. We were fifteen minutes into the movie when Melany's stomach growled, her hand coming to rub it soothingly.

"Anyone else starving?" She questioned as she made her way to the kitchen.

"All we have is half a loaf of bread, we forgot to go grocery shopping," I stated and Mel stopped in her tracks, turning on her heel to sluggishly faceplant into the couch cushion. I patted her head gently and laughed, keeping my voice at a whisper to not disturb Vivian's movie.

"What're you in the mood for?" I asked, patting the couch in hopes of finding my phone.

"Pizza." She gushed, her head cocked to the side to see me. I gave a nod and gently elbowed Vivian to make her aware I was ordering takeout.

"Roasted red peppers and chicken please!" She called, never taking her eyes off of the screen. Shaking my head, I made my way into my bedroom where I grabbed my phone from beside my backpack, filing through my apps until my thumb hovered over the one that read Dominos. My stomach growled with anticipation and I quickly began designing our large pizza. A car door slammed from outside, drawing my attention away from the screen in front of me and I curiously pulled my curtain away just enough for me to sneak a glimpse outside.