Awake

i woke up in a room i didnt recognise, surrounded by red walls clad with fire nation insignias, and with the worst headache i could imagine.

the last thing i could remember was zuko, carrying me away.

oh fuck.

i sat up slowly in the bed, so as not to make my headache any worse and felt pain overcome my body.

i stifled a scream and a guard came running over, shouting to another that i was awake.

i jumped out of bed, my head clearing but my body still in pain, and threw a ball of air at them.

but nothing happened.

'what' i muttered, trying to air bend again.

they handcuffed me and brought me to a chamber in the heart of the palace.

'get off me' i muttered, shrugging the guard off as i knelt down before the fire lords throne.

i looked around and saw zuko standing in front of me.

his face was unmoving, stonecold.

i looked away and heard a voice from the shadows.

'ive heard about you'

he paused and i felt my heart beat faster and faster with every second that passed.

'you're an airbender - but not the avatar. correct?'

'yes' i said through gritted teeth.

then, i felt a sharp pain in my back - probably where aang had been hit.

oh aang im so sorry.

'what was that?' snapped firelord ozai

'probably my soul withering' i replied and i swear i heard zuko laugh a bit.

'you will stay with us as our prisoner' said the firelord, 'but may act as part of the court'

i looked back up to him.

'now, both of you. get out of my sight'

the guards undid my handcuffs and zuko lead me out of the hall.

he walked me down the corridor and into another room.

everything was moving faster than my brain could keep up with.

'y/n is the avatar alive' he asked, bolting the door closed and drawing the curtains.

'how am i supposed to know?' i spat, 'im here'

he began pacing round the room, terrified and only just showing it.

'how are you alive?' he asked.

i rolled my eyes, 'same way you are dumbass'

he stopped and uttered something i didnt hear.

then, he turned to me and made a ball of fire in his hand, 'wanna say that again?'

i got straight into a fighting stance and tried to throw him to the wall with air.

but once again it didn't work - and he looked amazed.

i tried again and again to hit him away but nothing ever happened.

'why can't you air bend?' he asked, squashing the fire.

foolish.

i swept a kick at his legs and he fell down.

but before he could hit the ground, i grabbed his arm and pinned them behind his back.