xiv. a year and a half

December 21, 1513

It had been over a year and a half since Katherine was born, and there were still no signs of another pregnancy. Katherine's time was split between court and her own household, and Henry and I visited her as often as possible. Despite our responsibilities, we managed to see every milestone.

Naturally, she returned for the holiday season, and I was thrilled to see her. Katherine practically ran over to me, and I bent down to her level to greet her.

"Kate! You're home!" I enveloped her in a tight hug.

"Mama!"

I picked her up, resting her on my hip comfortably. Even though she was so young, she was already a lovely girl. Loose ringlets of deep brown hair fell to her collarbone. She was dressed in the most adorable purple dress. Her dark eyes mirrored mine perfectly. At such a young age, she was nearly identical to me.

"I missed you so much! Are you glad to be back at court?"

"Yes!" she replied enthusiastically.

"Good. I'm glad you're back, too," I told her, placing her back on the ground. "I'm sure your father will be happy to see you. He just got back from a long trip! Should we go find him?"

Katherine excitedly nodded. I grabbed her hand as we traveled throughout the many corridors. The people living at court grew to appreciate my daughter, but I knew that everyone was longing for a son. Even I was.

Henry had spent some time defending the borders from the Scots, resulting in me being alone, Queen Regent, and unsure if my husband would come home.

When we finally found Henry, he was reading some documents. Katherine, oblivious to the fact that he was working, ran over to him and wrapped her arms around him. It shocked him, and he jumped out of his seat a bit. I watched them from the doorway.
"Welcome back to court, Your Highness," Henry said, bowing his head.

Kate curtsied in response. "Can I stay awhile, Papa? Please?"

"Of course, Kate!" Henry said. He scooped her up and placed her on his knee. "You may stay as long as you like."

"Always!" she said, smiling at him.

Henry saw me watching, and an even bigger smile formed. "Anna, I'm so sorry the last trip was extended. I'm back for a long while now."

"I'm glad everything has been dealt with and you've returned," I answered, coming closer. "Things here ran smoothly, but I'm beyond relieved you're home."

There wasn't much left to talk about. Nothing interesting happened at court while he was gone, and I had no interest in hearing about the border. Henry started talking before I did.

"Are your sisters here?"

"Yes."

"Does that make you happy?"

"I think so."

"You think so?"

"That is what I said."

He'd always been skeptical of my sisters and the joy they brought me, but we'd slowly mended our broken relationships. It felt like we were finally sisters. Elizabeth was Kate's godmother, even!

"Lucy is here if you'd like to go play with her," I told my daughter. Lucy and Katherine got along well, and it made Beatrice and I happy.

"Yes, please!"

Katherine hopped down from her father's lap, and walked over to me. I turned to a maid standing nearby.

"Could you take Princess Katherine to see her cousin, Lady Lucy Rowlett?" I requested.