CHAPTER 13.3

"Can you let go of me now?"

I quickly retracted my grip form Celes' arm like I've been burned. Selene and the boys went ahead at the gym for the school's opening ceremony while Celes accompanied me to a nearby vending machine, just outside of the gym's exit.

The place was a bit isolated from the people's view and students didn't pass by this side either. So it was only me and Celes left alone.

The cold can of soda in my hand instantly felt warmer as the heat began to spread from across my face at Celes' remark.

I totally forgot I was holding his arm since earlier!

Clearing my throat, I finally began to ask him, "Is it fine to introduce yourself as Celes? Doesn't that sound like blasphemy?"

Amusement danced in his eyes as he shook his head no.

Great, so it was just me overthinking it.

"Contrary to your overthinking, Anisha, my name is quite common way before Altrea came to know magic", he said with a knowing smile plastered on his face.

I leaned my head sideways in question. What did he mean by before Altrea came to know magic?

"Celes, was there ever a time when magic didn't exist in this world? You know, like the world I came from?"

Now that I think about it, all the history books and legends of Altrea starts from the first king's rule: the first ever person who was able to wield first class magic like Celes...

I stared at Celes, waiting for an answer. His eyes had this far-away look in them. As if he was thinking of the past.

"It was a long time ago..." he said in a voice full of sadness and bitterness. It was the first time he was actually getting serious with me that my ears perked up in curiosity.

"...but I'd rather not talk about it! You see, Altrea was not like your world when magic didn't exist. It's a lot better now", he quickly shifted in a chirpy voice.

I visibly grimaced at the forced quirkiness.

And here I thought, he'll actually be telling me something serious about himself.

"Then, let me change my question. What's this for?" I asked gesturing towards the blue-pendant necklace coiled around my neck.

He told me that it will help me control my powers, but I don't think that's just it. After all, during the entrance exams yesterday, it only toned down the power of my bazooka slightly – just enough to not destroy the whole place but if the headmaster was like any ordinary magician, he would've been ripped to shreds.

"Your quite sharp, Anisha. Fine, I'll tell you. Remember what I said about how I'll only teach you space magic?"

I nodded.

"That necklace is to ensure that you'll do just that. You see, that pendant is a kind of restriction stone. It'll restrict you from using time magic."

"But you never taught me time magic in the first place. How am I supposed to use it?"

"You didn't need to study or actually learn magic, Anisha. Magic is mostly manipulated by a person's imagination and emotions. So, it's just a precaution. Just in case you unconsciously use time magic, that necklace will glow and constrict around your neck."

I winced at the sudden imagery.

"That sounds painful..."

Laughing, he nodded. "Of course, it is! But don't worry, you won't die. The restriction will only hurt you for a while in order to shift your emotions. As I said, you shouldn't meddle with time."

I wasn't planning to anyway, I answered silently.

"Shall we go inside now? Most of the students are already inside the gym."

Oh, right! The opening ceremony!

Gulping down the remaining amount of soda left in the can I was holding, I took hold of Celes' arm with my other free hand and walked quickly towards the gym's entrance.