25. I am A Papa

__________________________

.

.

.

River cursed as she lost her grip on her car keys. Her hands were trembling. Her vision was blurred and unfocused by the tears clouding her eyes.

Her heart ached, beating erratically in her chest as if trying to break open the cage holding it prisoner.

She felt so helpless, useless!

She couldn't even hold the car-keys properly to insert it into the ignition. She reached for the keys that was lying next to her foot and managed to get it.

River jumped out of her skin at the sudden tap on her window.

She wiped at her tears and looked carefully to realize it was Mr. Adesso.

She quickly pushed the door open and got out, composing herself.

"Mr. Adesso-"

"Mateo." He said, an unknown emotion dripping from his voice.

"I am so sorry you had to see that-"

"Shut up River!" He glared at the surgeon. "Ou- Your children are missing. It's okay to let the pain out!"

He held her by her arms. "You are going to break if you try to bottle it in. Let it all out now and then let's go find the twins!"

Why he was so concerned about her babies, she didn't know but when he said what he did, it was like the dams behind her eyes burst open.

River crouched to the ground and cried into her hands.

This was not supposed to happen.

Something was supposed to happen to her. Not her little monkeys.

River cried for a good ten minutes on the ground and Mateo waited patiently, not trying to console her or ask her to stop. He knew that she needed to cry it and let it all out for her to function properly again.

River blew out deep breaths as she stood back up, wiping away the tears with the back of her palm.

"I'll drive." Mateo offered. But she shook her head no.

No, she was gonna drive.

He nodded and got into the passenger seat while she slid back in, starting the engine.

River didn't really know why he was helping her but his presence helped so she didn't ask for an explanation. Also, she knew that he was useful. He had contacts in the bad world.

She quickly dialed Eric's number on her car screen and started driving.

She was a fast driver when the situation called for it. Very fast.

"River?" Eric asked as soon as he picked the call, sounding confused.

"You were right. They got my kids." She said.

"We are at it." He replied and hung up while she missed a red light by a second.

"You knew this was going to happen?" Mateo sounded angry.

River glanced over at him for a millisecond before taking a side road that she knew could get them home faster.

"Yeah, my mom's Susan Johnson-"

"The lawyer?"

She nodded. "The case she has been on lately... She was threatened I think; she didn't tell me exactly what was going on but she was paranoid. And an old acquaintance of mine had warned me about the same."