Part 12. The Note is Too Low

The next few days, both Manik and Nandini were deep into their own activities. Nandini was busy brushing up for her exam and Manik was busy with the album. While the album was progressing really well, things were never this ugly with the FAB5. Rather, things were ugly for Dhruv. Manik treated Dhruv like he didn't even exist. He was absolutely indifferent about his existence. He spoke to him minimally only with respect to the music. They never hung out together when they took breaks. Manik and Alya mainly avoided Dhruv and hung out together and while Cabir and Mukti tried behaving neutral with all of them, they were also somewhere down the line pissed off with Dhruv's behaviour. Dhruv had never felt more lonely in his entire life. He always had his friends who always had his back. But things were quite different now.

One of the days, all 4 of them were sitting in the canteen to get some lunch. Manik had been particularly irritated and in a bad mood that day. He didn't know why but he just didn't feel like doing anything. He wasn't able to crack the new tune they had been trying since last evening and all the over-rehearsing wasn't getting them anywhere. He hadn't slept well the previous night as well and had ended up staying up most of the night. And that made him wake up later than usual in the morning causing him to skip breakfast too.
Manik - What the fuck man. Hum kal se wohi tune pe atke hai. Such a waste of time. Why is it getting so difficult?
Cabir - Ho jayega. Just be patient. Hum subah se continuously practice kar rahe hai. We just need a break. It will flow.
Mukti - Haan yaar Manik. Just chill.
Manik - And what bullshit is this food. Mujhse khaya bhi nahi jaa raha hai.
Alya - We've been eating the same food since years, Manik. What's wrong with you?
Manik - Nothing. Just forget it.
He got up and walked off the table leaving his food incomplete.
Mukti - Ise kya ho gaya?
Cabir - Kuch nahi. Nandini ko miss kar raha hoga. These two haven't spent a day apart since they've met and now it's been almost a week they haven't seen each other.
Alya - Aww. So cute.
Mukti - Yeh dono koshish bhi kyu karte hai ek dusre se dur rehne ki.
Cabir - Why not? Ab saara time toh saath nahi reh sakte hai na? They both have their own lives outside of their 'little world'. It's a part of growing up. In fact, I'm glad yeh dono ek dusre ko space de rahe hai to grow as individuals. Varna most couples toh humesha chipke rehte hai not giving each other the space or the freedom to pursue their own dreams.
Alya - Yeah I get that. But just look at him. He's miserable without her.
Cabir - He'll be fine. It's just one of those days.
Just then, Manik came back with a plate of idli and filter coffee.
Mukti - Tu yeh kyu lekar aaya. Teri omelette toh tune finish nahi ki.
Manik - Kuch nahi yaar. I can't eat that. So I'm trying something different. Besides, I just think I'm missing Nandini. Maybe that's why the idlis and the coffee.
Mukti - Awwww. Hume bhi yahin lag raha hai. You're in a bad mood because you're missing her. Phone karke baat kar le na.
Manik - Hmmm. I'll call her in a bit. Let's finish lunch first.
Manik clicked a picture of the idlis and the filter coffee and sent it across to Nandini captioning 'Look what missing you does to me'
Nandini replied soon enough 'Are you saying it's turning you into a south-Indian?'
Manik smiled at her response.
Manik - No. It means I'm resorting to eating other south-Indian things because I can't eat my personal favourite.
He could imagine Nandini blush at his text. How he wished he could see her reaction. But he was surprised when he read her response
Nandini - Your favourite south-Indian can't wait to be eaten by you. Missing the hickeys ♥️
Nandini had begun to get bolder with time. She didn't shy away anymore like she used to. But Manik was still not quite used to the bold Nandini. Though he was loving this side of hers but he often got caught off-guard.
He quickly responded to her
Manik - You're going to be deliciously eaten next Friday after your exam. Be prepared
Nandini - Can't wait. Now that you've got something to look forward to for next week, you should be able to get through the rest of the day. So stop being so grumpy and finish your song.
Manik - How did you know I was grumpy?
Nandini - Why do you ask me such stupid questions? Don't I know you? You're eating my favourite food and you voluntarily confessed that you miss me. My coconut does not show his white soft vulnerabilities in broad daylight.
Manik - What bullshit. That's so not true.
Nandini - Of course it's true. You barely let your feelings out. You're only most vulnerable when we're lying in bed after sex
Manik - What bullshit. Dont assume things.
Nandini - Are you telling me I don't know you?
Manik - The even I know you. You're the exact opposite of me. You usually want to have sex after you've opened up about something.
Nandini - You know what. We're beginning to know too many details about each other. This is getting dangerous.
Manik - I agree. Pata nahi tum mujhse kya kya confess karwa logi after seducing me.
Nandini - I don't quite think you have a problem with the seducing. In fact, I don't even have to try too hard with the seducing. Tum 24*7 turned on rehte ho.
Manik - That's not true. I'm mostly turned on when you're angry or your blushing or when I see you smile or when you're sleeping or..
Nandini - Bas bas bas Manik Malhotra. Kuch toh baaki rakho next Friday ke liye?
Manik - Yeah. You're right. I rather not think about what all turns me on about you right now. I'm in the middle of the canteen.
Nandini - Okay. So you finish your lunch and I'll speak to you later. Miss you tons. Bye.
Manik - Bye

He finally put down his phone and happily got back to eating his lunch.
Manik - So listen guys, I have a couple of ideas. Malhotra Industries has an annual business party. And it's happening sometime next week. All these big industrialists and the big media houses are invited. So you think we should launch our album there? I'm sure O2 will be more than happy to collaborate because it'll be free publicity for them and it'll help us launch ourselves too on a bigger scale too. What say?
Alya - Oh my God. That'll be awesome.
Cabir - Haan yaar. It'll be perfect. That's a brilliant idea.
Mukti - Idea toh accha hai. But won't you have to deal with Nyonika?
Cabir - Haan yaar. Chod. Waise bhi woh tere aur Nandini ke peeche haath dho ke padi hai. Let's not deal with her.
Manik - I'll deal with her. Aur waise bhi, woh duniya ko humesha yehi dikhaana chahti hai that things are normal between us. Toh I'm sure woh maan jayegi.
Alya - Are you sure?
Manik - Yes. Don't worry. Tum log sirf ek baar Dhruv se confirm kar lo. And then I'll go and ask Nyonika in the evening.
Cabir - Haan. Tujhe ek aur baat discuss karni thi na?
Manik - Oh Haan. Next weekend main practice pe nahi aa raha hoon.
Mukti - Kyu? Next weekend kya hai?
Manik - Nandini's exams get over on Friday. So we're going away for the weekend.
All - Ohhhhhhh....
Manik - Tch. Stop it guys. Tum log thakte nahi ho kya? Besides, I haven't met her in days now. I need to have her to myself for sometime.
Mukti - Haan toh humne kab mana kiya.
Manik - Whatever. I'm not liable to give you guys any explanation. Bye.
He got up and walked out of the canteen leaving the other 3 laughing their asses off.
——————————————————————————

A few more days passed and the FAB5 had made significant progress with their album. They had completed composing all songs and were practicing to get the music and the lyrics right. Simultaneously, Nandini had managed to catch up on a lot of her studying. She was taking 2 practice tests a day and was scoring quite well in all of them. But for some reason, Nandini had been super distracted this morning. She couldn't concentrate on anything at all. Maybe she really needed a break and decided to step out of the house for some fresh air.
It was around late afternoon and the FAB5 were in the music room practicing and were pleasantly surprised when Nandini and Navya stepped in.
Nandini - Hi guys... how are you all?
Cabir - Wow... Nandini is here. Ab toh Manik ka khoya hua chain waapis aa gaya.
Mukti - Cabir yaar. Tere PJs kab band hoge!
Cabir - Kabhi nahi. Waise Navya, tum yahaan kya kar rahi ho? Tumhe ghar pe hona chahiye.
Navya - Haan woh hum ghar par hi the par Nandini padhaai kar kar ke bore ho gayi thi. Toh pehle toh woh ghar aayi phir humne decide kiya ki tum sab se bhi mil le. Aap logon ki practice ka time khatam hone aaya hai na.
Manik - Nandini padhaai karke bore ho gayi?
Manik tried to catch Nandini's eye to actually confirm what Navya was saying was true. She was the biggest nerd he knew. She couldn't get 'bored' of studying. Especially 5 days before her exam. And like he had guessed, Nandini was looking everywhere but at him. She was lying. As a matter of fact, there was something weird about her body language too. She was fidgeting with her bag and her clothes and her hair from time to time. She almost looked uncomfortable. What was cooking in her head?
Cabir - Aur nahi toh kya? Itne boring books se woh bore nahi hogi toh kya hogi?
Nandini - Yeah. I just needed a break. So I thought I'll come to your practice?
Nandini was trying to divert everyone's attention from her, especially Manik's.
Cabir - Navya. Tum kuch bana kar leke aayi ho? Kya hai? Dikhao.
Navya - Yeh humne nahi. Nandini ne banaya hai. Cake hai.
Navya went towards Mukti, Cabir and Navya to offer them the cake while Manik went to Nandini.
Nandini was still looking nervous and away. Manik held her chin and made her look into his eyes. Nandini was startled with the sudden touch. Manik was confused at her weird behavior trying to read her eyes.
Manik - What's troubling you?
He saw some icing stuck on her neck and was about to wipe it off but Nandini stopped him by holding his hand.
Nandini - Manik. Not now. Please.
Manik - Kya hua?
Nandini - Abhi nahi please.
Manik - Nandini, are you fine? Tumhara behaviour bahut ajeeb hai aaj?
Nandini - I'm fine.
Manik - You're not. I can see that. Tell me. Kya hua?
Nandini - Woh... woh...
Mukti - Manik aur Nandini. Tum dono kahin pe bhi shuru ho jaate ho.
Manik - Mukti. Ab tak toh humne kuch shuru bhi nahi kiya hai? Aur teri problem kya hai? Humesha aa jaati hai taang adaane?
Nandini - Tum log abhi kya play kar rahe the? It was sounding nice.
Aliya - Good you came. You can give us some feedback too. We finally made that soft romantic song O2 wanted us to make.
Mukti - Yes guys. Let's play. Navya aur Nandini ko sunaate hai.
Manik once again realised that Nandini was trying to divert the attention from her by changing the topic. However, he knew he had to wait till the two of them were alone to understand what was wrong with her so he decided to just play along and try to wrap up the practice as soon as possible. The FAB5 decided to play their latest song. The song obviously sounded amazing and was brilliantly sung by Manik with everyone supporting the chorus vocals.
Navya - Wow. Kya baat hai. Bohot bohot accha hai. Yeh gaana toh superhit honewala hai.
Cabir - Nandini? Tumhe kya lagta hai? Do we need to change anything?
Nandini - I think the note was too low.

Manik, who was drinking water from a water bottle, coughed and spat out the water the moment Nandini said that. Everyone was looking at Manik weirdly.
Manik - I'm fine.
Cabir - Nandini. Note was low matlab. I think the note was perfect.
Nandini was trying to hide her smile looking at Manik's reaction.
Nandini - Low matlab I was thinking the song would sound better on a higher note. I mean only if Manik wants. Only if he can get the note higher.
Manik looked at Nandini like she was an alien. Was she really his Nandini? Was she really asking what she was implying.
Mukti - Maybe ek baar try kar ke dekhna chahiye? What say Manik?
Nandini - Haan Manik. Let's try the high note.
Manik had had enough now. All this high note talk in front of everyone had managed to stun him, no doubt but he had to deal with Nandini right now. Was she just doing this to tease him or did she really mean it? But hold on, she wouldn't come all the way to college 5 days before her exam just to play a prank on him. Also, she looked restless and nervous and shy, all at the same time. Did she really come to tell him that she wanted to have sex right now? What the fuck!
Alya - Manik.. Where are you lost? Let's start.
Manik - Uhh... guys, let's wrap this up today. Aaj mood nahi hai. We'll do this tomorrow.
Cabir - Arrey,  tu Nandini ka suggestion ignore kar raha hai? Girlfriend ko ignore kar raha hai? Very bad.
Manik (under his breath) - Girlfriend ko attention dene ke liye toh practice cancel kar raha hu.
Cabir - Kya?
Manik - Kuch nahi. Kal karenge. Promise.
Mukti - Arrey, tujhe achanak kya ho gaya? Anyway, chal theek hai. Kal thoda jaldi milte hai. I'm also tired.
Alya - Cool. Let's wrap it up.
As soon as all of them decided to wrap things up and started packing their instruments, Manik held Nandini's hand and pulled her outside.
Manik - Tumhari tabiyat toh theek hai na? What was all that?
Nandini - Woh.. Manik... I... Uhhh...
Nandini lost her voice again. She was unbelievable. Not more than 5 minutes ago, she had expressed herself in front of 5 other people and now, she was finding it difficult to voice it again. But she didn't need to say it. Manik understood and of course, he wasn't going to disappoint Nandini.
Manik - Forget it. Let's go home.
He pulled her hand and was dragging her to his car when he suddenly stopped in his tracks.
Manik - Crap. Aaj ghar pe bohot saare workers hai to prepare for the annual party.
Nandini - But tumhare room mein toh koi nahi aayega na.
Manik - Nahi. Mere room mein bhi thoda renovation chal raha hai?
Nandini - What renovation?
Manik - Forget that. We don't have anywhere to go.
Nandini - Now?
Manik - Let's try doing it in the car?
Nandini - Eww Manik. Are you mad? It's broad daylight. I'm not doing it in the car.
Manik - Oh.. So you're saying you're open to doing it in the car if it's at night.
Nandini - Shut up.
Manik - Tumhare ghar bhi nahi jaa sakte. Chachi ghar par hi hogi and I absolutely cannot imagine doing it with her closeby. Besides, woh hume akela hi nahi chodegi.
Nandini - Manik, this is Chachi's evening walk ka time. Phir she'll go to the market. So she'll be out for at least 2 hours.
Manik - Great. Let's go.
Nandini - But Rishabh?
Manik - Rishabh ko I'll manage. Let's go.

The two of them were off to Nandini's house all excited. They were experiencing a new adrenaline altogether and also excited as they were meeting after so long.

Reality Ever Afterजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें