37 • cover tips

Before we get started, let me just say this: "NEVER USE BOOK TEMPLATES ON CANVA".

(uhm but Alina I saw your awards book and I'm pretty sure I saw that template before--)

Let me rephrase that: "NEVER USE BOOK COVER TEMPLATES ON CANVA IF YOU WANT TO GET MORE READERS."

The only reason I used a template for my awards book was because I knew it won't matter (and of course I was lazy af). It's a damn awards book. No one gives a shit about your cover, and even if they did it's their loss for losing the opportunity to participate. Get what I'm saying?

I mean, if you're going to use Canva's template (or any other cover making app) then at least change the damn photo. I've seen so many books here with the same format and it's getting annoying. Please let me slap some sense into you.

It's a turn off. I repeat, it's a damn turn off.

--

Now that we got that out of the way, let's start with the real thing. If you haven't done it yet, I want you to take a peek of the photo I've inserted above this chapter.

I don't know about you but that cover makes me wanna gouge my eyes out (very visual, I know). And before you go hating on me in the comments, know that I'M the one who made that cover. And yes, it was intentional, so shoo.

1. Font Color

Of course, it's common sense that the text you place on your cover should be ENTIRELY VISIBLE. If not then what's the point? If the background is dark make sure your font is light for it to stand out (and vise versa), avoid colors that look horrible together, and always always consider the overall aesthetic of the cover.

I honestly don't even know what to explain here because it's freaking easy to understand yet so many still make the same mistake.

2. Text Placement

In case you didn't know, there is a so-called 'unwritten rule' that exists here. Either you follow it or your cover won't look the best. The art of being balanced amirite? Just, don't let the text touch the edge, that's it. Unless that's your style I suppose but that'll be hard to pull off.

Don't go to the dark side. Stay where you are. Somewhere around the middle.

After you finish placing your text on the cover, ask yourself: 'does my cover look neat, organized, and balanced? are the words easy to read? if not, what made me do that in the first place?'

3. Choice of Photo

This is really important, because you're a goner the moment you choose the wrong photo. Unless you're a pro at editing then I guess this doesn't apply to you. And NO, I'm not talking about filters.

Pick the one that feels right; the one that fits your story idea perfectly and one YOU KNOW will look good as a cover. We're not making a magazine cover here alright? Or a poster, or whatever shit so get it together.