20 | ғιreғℓყ

But the world looks better

Through your eyes

Chapter 20 ~ Firefly

        Jamie Myers

"Can you tell me why I got a text from you, ordering me to come here?" Jillian questioned me as soon as I stepped foot into the house alongside Scar. Her hands were placed on her hips in a disapproving manner and her clear blue eyes appeared wild with anger. "And while you're at that, can you tell me where've you been? I've been waiting for over two hours and you know cranky Janice gets."

"We were just hanging out," I said coolly while shrugging my shoulders to emphasize the severe casualness of the situation.

She raised a delicate brow. "Just hanging out?" she repeated in a tone that showed my lie wasn't all that convincing. That was the downside of having a twin, because Jillian always knew when I was lying.

I shrugged again, deciding to fully immerse myself in my white lie. "Yep."

Her hard, scrutinizing gaze shifted between Scar and me. Folding her arms against her A-cup chest, she let out a loud huff. "Sure," she drew out, finally giving in.

Scar, sensing the awkwardness of the conversation, piped in, "Where's Amy?"

Jillian vaguely gestured towards the ceiling. "She went to her room, I think."

"Did she have a lot of food with her?" he pried.

She nodded. "Yeah, she had a box of cereal and a couple other stuff."

"Dammit," Scar cursed under his breath. "She can't be eating everything if you guys are going to stay here!" He threw his hands in the air in defeat and trudged up the stairs in search of his sister.

I knew I had to ease Jillian into the situation at-hand. I knew she wouldn't be thrilled to learn that Scar wanted us to stay at his house, because as far as she was concerned, no one knew about our foster situation. But any attempts at calming my sister down went out the window just moments later.

"What?" she questioned, returning her attention to me. "What's he talking about? We're not staying here."

There wasn't any other way I could explain it, so I blurted out, "He knows about Janice, and he insisted that we stay at his house until we can get our own."

Jillian's gaze narrowed. "Are you insane? Do you want Janice to hunt us down and kill us? What about the twins? We can't leave them there to face Janice's wrath!"

I hadn't really thought about Bryan and Ryan. We looked after them like they were our brothers, but the reality was, they weren't our brothers. I felt bad for them, but my priority was to take care of me and Jillian. "We don't want to take advantage of this privilege. Scar only has one guest room."

"So? You'll obviously be sleeping with Scar. I can stay with Amy, and the twins can have the guest room. I'm not leaving them there, Jamie. I don't want them to grow up around her. Not without us to protect them."

I let my eyes travel to the visible banister of the second floor, casually searching or a response that would satisfy Jillian. Letting out a frustrated sigh and returning my eyes to my sister, I said, "Fine, but I'll have to ask him first. If he says yes, then we'll go first thing tomorrow morning. I still have stuff I need to get from there."

"Thank you." Jillian's rosy lips stretched into a satisfied smile. "Now, I don't want to keep you away from your boyfriend any longer, so." She waved her fingers in a slightly teasing manner before skipping up the stairs and disappearing out of sight.