Cupid's Children

'Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlour back in business. Try our Spooktastic flavours today!' read the sign.

The sky was overcast with clouds threatening to pour, a chill hung in the air and almost all the shops in Diagon Alley had their Halloween decorations up. It was October. And yet, despite the nip in the air, the street was bustling with a new life of its own as witches and wizards walked about rediscovering the renovated stores.

Emma looked at the black and orange themed sign as their group passed by it. The dropping October temperatures were no match for her cravings. Not when they were Spooktastic flavoured. Whatever that meant. As if in agreement, the baby kicked making her stop right outside the store.

Was it worth risking a cold? She thought about it. Her due date was at the end of the month and she knew that once the baby was here there would be little room for whims like these. Given her constant discomfort now she also felt like she deserved the treat.

Remus and Sirius who were squabbling over why the baby should or shouldn't be named Moony Jr. kept on walking. Ginny noticing Emma's absence stopped and turned back. Emma gave her a sheepish smile.

"Fine! But it's the last detour of the day. I won't be dragged into Flourish and Blotts again because your hormones want you huffing newly bound books again," Ginny warned as she stormed over to her friend. This drew the men's attention.

Emma beamed at Ginny as the young witch came over and linked their arms. The baby gave another kick and Ginny grinned at the movement. The little devil was already taking over their hearts.

"Rem," Emma said drawing his attention. He turned to look between his eager fiancée and the sign she was staring at. She looked at him like bashful, hoping he'd get the hint. He shook in only slight disbelief.

"You go on. I can get the rest and we'll join you at Cupid's Children when we're done. It's just a few stores down," Remus said leaning his head to look forward and spot the pastel-coloured shop front. 

Without hesitation, Emma and Ginny entered Florean's while Sirius and Remus made their way to the new baby store in town—the purpose of their visit today.

"Smart of them innit? Taking advantage of all the post-war baby booming that's just waiting to happen in some months. Look at all these expecting mums. Ooh, I think that one by the register doesn't have a wedding band or ring," Sirius said once the duo had entered the store.

The recently opened baby store seemed to hold almost all kinds of magical baby items they needed now that Emma had finally moved in and they were decorating the nursery. It was mostly occupied by witches, some accompanied by their spouses and significant others. 

Everyone was browsing through the latest ranges of products. Most of the dads-to-be could be seen huddled near the toy Firebolts. For '12 months and over' it read under the sign.

"Fucking hell!" Sirius exclaimed as he too joined the crowd. "They have these in Firebolts now. That's what I'm getting the kid for the first birthday," he said but Remus wasn't paying attention. He was busy going through the neatly written list Emma had handed him in the morning and scanning the store for ones he could spot.

Remus was nervous. He really wanted to prove to Emma that he could do this right which is why he had been insistent on checking out the store himself. 

Item 1. Change-Me-Now Nappies, Remus looked around for the diaper section and walked over. Spotting the product, he lifted a box. Apparently, these changed colour when soiled.