John Marston: Time to Think

John Marston X Female Reader

Summary: Deaths in Saint Denis, stranded on a Island somewhere near Cuba, being locked up in Sisika Penitentiary, it gave everyone some time to think. Once John is free, he decides that he can't keep wasting time, he has to be honest with you. It just doesn't turn out exactly how he imagined.

Word Count: 5600

If Dutch could read your mind, you would be his number one enemy. You knew that this bank job in Saint Denis wouldn't go well, you felt it in your gut. Dutch would blame a lack of faith and you would have said god damn right it's a lack of faith.

Hosea and Abigail caused an explosion, acting as the distraction for you all to hit the bank. The lot of you had just got the money and were heading for the exit. For a second, just for one glorious second, you thought that you might actually pull this off. You couldn't have been more wrong. It was definitely the biggest mess the gang had gotten in that you could remember.

"Dutch! Get out here!" the all too familiar voice called from outside the bank. You and John shared a concerned glance before taking over near the windows on the right, seeing Dutch and Arthur taking cover on the left. "Get out here now!" the voice shouted again.

"I knew this was a bad idea" you muttered leaning out from behind the wall just to get a glimpse out of the window, seeing Pinkerton agents lining the street. And you were certain there were more.

"We're gonna get outta this" John assured you but when you looked at each other, he didn't even look convinced of his words.

"Mr Milton...let my friends go" Dutch called out to him. You and John peered out the window and tensed when you saw Agent Milton pulling Hosea in front of him, pointing a gun to his head. Then another agent caught your attention, he was holding a gun to Abigail's head. "...or folks...they are gonna get shot unnecessarily" he threatened.

"They wouldn't shoot Abigail...right?" you asked quietly but John didn't respond. All he could think about was Jack back at the camp but surely they wouldn't stoop so low...right?

"You're friends? Ha, why would I do that?" Agent Milton asked and you could hear the smirk in his voice. He was clearly enjoying having the lot of you pinned down in the back.

"Come on, Milton..." was all Dutch shot back with, making you glance over at him. You hadn't been his biggest fan for a while now but you could see the genuine concern on his face. Hosea was his oldest friend after all.

"It's over. No more bargains. No more deals" Milton drawled out, making sure you all knew that there was no more options. There was nothing you could do...

"Mr Milton...this is America. You can always cut a deal" Dutch insisted.

"I've given you enough chances..." Agent Milton sighed before pushing Hosea forward, waiting for the older man to turn back towards him before shooting him in the chest.

"Hosea!" you gasped, feeling John wrap his hand around your arm to stop you from moving out of cover, pulling you back against his chest.

"Shit..." John cursed, releasing your arm when he felt you relax slightly.

"No!" Dutch caught your attention again, he was just staring at the scene in disbelief.

"Goddamn it!" Arthur seethed and you noticed how he had to physically hold himself back from reacting.

"Is that enough of a deal for you, Dutch?" Agent Milton asked but Dutch didn't respond, still in shock. "No? You need more? Very well..." he shrugged before lifting the gun and turning it on Abigail. Before anyone could react, the detective pulled the trigger and it was done.