Chapter 35

Hey Everyone!

I generally don’t add notes before posting a chapter but I might do so more often.

I always reread a chapter before postng it and I really like this one. In this chapter, Tony finally meets Evie’s mom. And Natasha, Evie’s mom, is obviously excited to meet Tony. I won’t say much more but I just absolutely love the dialogue between Evie and her mom after Tony leaves for the night.

Enjoy and stick around for another update next week! :)

Evie’s POV

“I’m hungry,” Donny whines as soon as we step off the bus. “And these nose things are starting to hurt.”

I bend down and gently pull the plugs out of his nose. Thankfully, his nose isn’t bleeding anymore.

“Mom’s making dinner.”

“Oh! Can I come?” Emily looks at me with puppy dog eyes.

“Of course. You and Tony are both invited.”

“Yess!” Donny and Emily high five each other. I stand up, take Tony’s hand and we all start towards my house.

“Hey mom,” I say when we get inside. She’s tossing a salad in the kitchen. “You remember Tony and Emily right?”

“Oh!” She wipes her hands on a dishtowel. “I do. But I don’t think I ever really introduced myself.” She sticks out her right hand towards Tony. “I’m Natasha.”

“Hi,” Tony is polite and I catch his smile. “I’m Tony and this is Emily.” He puts his left hand on Emily’s shoulder and guides her towards my mom. Emily has her head down and my mom tilts her chin up.

“Hey baby girl. Donny’s been telling me a lot about you.”

Emily blushes then Donny takes her hand. “We’re gonna go play in the room.” The two go running down the hallway and Tony takes a seat at the dining table. I sit across from him as my mom brings the food to the table.

“You you need help with anything Ms. Johnson?” Tony stands up from the table.

My mom laughs. “No. I’m almost done. And it’s Natasha, okay?”

“Okay.” Tony sits down.

“I’ll be right back.” I run down the hallway to get Donny and Emily. “You guys ready to eat?” They’re reading some of Donny’s books.
“Yup.” Donny gets up and Emily follows after him.

When I get back to the kitchen, Tony and my mom are laughing. It feels good to know that they like each other.

We all sit down at the table and start eating.

My mom’s lasagna is pretty amazing. There’s fresh basil, oregano and five different cheeses. It’s so good. And the garlic bread is delicious. Everything is wonderful and the smile on my mom’s face lets me know that she’s proud of how everything turned out.

Tony is digging in too and in this moment everything is so perfect. I look around the table and the only thing that’s missing is Tony’s mom. Next time, I’ll remember to have her over. Her and my mom would be good for each other.

We finally finished and my mom quickly clears the dishes.

“Did you make dessert mama?” Donny’s eyes are wide open.

“I didn’t make dessert but I bought Gelato!”

Gelato? I like to think that I know everything but I’ve never even heard of Gelato.

“What’s that Donny’s mom?” Emily asks quietly from her seat.

My mom laughs. “You can call me Natasha sweetheart. And it’s an Italian ice cream.” She brings out two quarts. One of them is pistachio and the other is chocolate. She returns a second later with five bowls, spoons and two ice cream scoops.

Emily’s eyes are huge and so are mine. I can’t wait to try it. We all take a scoop of each and as soon as I taste it, I feel myself melt. This stuff is incredible.

We all devour our ice cream, have seconds. And then thirds.

“I’m ready for bed now,” Emily says, rubbing her tummy. We all laugh.

“Yeah.” Tony looks at his watch. “It’s almost 8 o’clock. We should probably get going.” He walks towards the door with Emily and my mom follows.

“It was nice to finally meet you Tony.” My mom touches his cheeks lightly then hugs him. I watch the two of them and Tony blushes.

“It was nice meeting you too Emily.” My mom bends down and hugs her.

Emily smiles a little then hides behind Tony ‘s legs.

“Thanks again for dinner Ms. Johnson.” Tony says goodbye.

“I really like him Evette.” My mom has a huge smile on her face when they leave.

Oh gosh. I don’t think I can handle talking about boys with my mom.

“Yeah. Me too.” I go to the table and clear the ice cream bowls.

“Donny, why don’t you go get ready for bed okay?”

“Okay.” Donny gets up from the living room floor and walks to the bathroom.

I clean up the kitchen while my mom awkwardly hangs around. I know she’s dying to ask me about Tony. When I finish cleaning, I finally face my mom.

“You can ask me five questions about him,” I say rolling my eyes.

She smiles. “How do you feel about him?”

“I like him. A lot.” This is so awkward. “I love him.”

“Are you guys having sex?”

“Ohmagoshhh mom,” I bury my face in my hands. “No, we’re not. And even if we were, I wouldn’t tell you.”

“Why not?” she asks.

“I wouldn’t tell you because—

“No. Why aren’t you guys having sex?”

“Geez mom.” I decide to be honest with her. “I don’t want to have sex until I’m married. It’s a personal decision I made before I started dating Tony. And thankfully, he’s okay with that.”

“But why? You don’t really know a person ‘til you have sex with them Evette.”

“I can’t say I agree with that mom. I love and respect Tony so much. I know more about him than I know about you, or Donny or any friend I’ve ever had. If him and I were to have sex and things didn’t work out, I would feel so horrible. In the future, when we are ready to make a commitment and get married, sex will only add to our relationship. For now, things are good.”

“So you’re already thinking about marrying him?”

“You already asked five questions mom.” I smile then make my way down the hallway.

“So is that a yes?” My mom calls out from the kitchen.

“Yes mom.” I roll my eyes then go into my room. Donny is already fast asleep on his bed. I cross the room, throw myself onto my bed and can’t help but smile.

Today was good.