Chapter 2: Elaine

PART TWO

The phone ends and the caller ID disappears off my screen. For some reason, I stare at my screen as though it was new to me. My thumb traces the screen wallpaper and I smile. Melody was lifted up into the air with my arms holding her steady. The rising of dawn stood in the background, encapsulating the entire image

"Come on Elly, dawn is almost approaching, " Melody said earlier that morning. My mind plays the entire scene like a movie on a screen.

Elly is the nickname she gave me when growing up. It was the solution to her inability to pronounce my name. With time, I began to like it.

"Its five in the morning for crying out loud, " Melody was so eager to use the phone the next day so much so that she stayed up waiting for it to charge.

"My point exactly, we need to take when nature enhances its beauty, " whatever that meant.

After complaining a few more times, she finally got me outside. Melody had already set up a camera stand with an old plant stool, large textbooks and novels, and a few things I can't remember. She sat the phone at a specific angle she calls the 'Melody effect'.

And that's how we got the picture.

The sound of dog barking brought me back to reality. I placed my phone back in my bag and walked up the stairs. Before I knew it, apartment number five was staring back at me. Reaching out for the doorknob, I tried to open the door. After constantly pushing the door with my body, I realized that it was locked. The events of today seemed to have made me lose my sanity.

Grabbing the keys from my bag, I insert it in the keyhole and tried to open the door. Despite my efforts of remembering how to use the key, the door still wouldn't open. Just in time, my landlord came down the stairs.

"Oh good, you're finally here, " she said clutching her handbag and from the look on her face, this can't be good.

I cleared my throat, " Yeah, I'm having trouble getting into my house, " I explained.

She let out a fake laugh, "Oh honey, " she paused, resting her hand on her heart, " this is not your house anymore. Let's time I checked, you didn't pay rent, "

"I'll give you the money Diana, I just need more time, "

"I'm sorry Elaine but I can't keep waiting for you. It's been three months, "

"You know what I'm going through, please give me one more chance, "

"I'm sorry Elaine but you have to find somewhere else to sleep tonight, " and she walked out. words echo in my head and each sound felt like a thousand bricks cascading in my entire body.

The impact was so poignant that it almost seemed real. Where was I supposed to go now? I had lost my job and will soon have to take care of my sister. I can barely fund for myself let alone her.

My body finally gave up and I slide down the door onto the cold concrete floor. Hot tears rolled down my dark skin and this time, I couldn't stop them. How can are person have their whole life come crashing down in just one day? Thankfully, there is one thing I can do that may or may not bring joy to my sorrow tale.

About thirty minutes later, I was walking out of the supermarket with one bottle of tequila. Drinking won't change what has happened but it give me joy somehow or a blackout. We'll just have to wait and see.

The expectation is a mystery to us all.

I walk over to the other side of the supermarket. A warm breeze tinkle's my skin and I begin to feel hot. Great, I haven't even gotten drunk yet heat is already coursing through my body. I find a doorstep and settle myself there.