xv. Under the Stars

THE common room was empty by the time I got back, save for two people lounging on the couch in front of the fireplace.

"Oh, hey," I started upon seeing that it was my two friends. "Thought you guys would be in bed already."

"We were just talking," said Ernie, waving dismissively. "Guess we lost track of time."

"Yeah." I let out a silent yawn and rubbed at my eyes.

"You tired?" Ruby asked, patting the empty space on the couch beside her. Shooting her a small smile, I plopped myself down, immediately relaxing and letting go of the tension from standing for too long.

Just thinking about earlier brought a smile to my face without me even realizing it. It was a bold move, hugging Draco like that, yet it was worth it judging from the positive reaction I got back from him. I allowed him to pull away first — Merlin knows how many hugs he needs these days. I don't even remember how long we both stood there for; it was as if I lost my sense of time, wanting to stay there because it simply felt. . .nice.

At first I thought I was the only one who felt that way. After the two of us had a very serious conversation about advantages of being a Metamorphmagus, the time of our meeting had come to an and. But before I could even take two steps away from Draco, he stopped me.

He had mumbled something I couldn't hear, and when I asked he said, "Can I have one more hug before you go?"

Another yawn overtook me — which I was really glad about since I almost let a stupid grin spread to my face.

"You must be studying a whole lot in the library, huh?" Ruby said after I was done.

"Yeah," I replied airily, "I suppose."

"Must be real quiet there."

"It is a library—"

"Pretty cozy too."

"Erm, of course—"

"You studying alone or, uh, you got some company?" Ruby said with pursed lips.

I tried to smile but all I could do best was a grimace of confusion. Shooting Ruby a weird look, I turned to Ernie expectantly but he was too busy rubbing the bridge of his nose in an exasperated manner.

"What's with all the questions?" I asked them but no answer came. "You're both acting a bit off. . ."

"I don't know," Ruby finally said. "You tell us, Margo."

Raising my brows high, I turned to Ernie again.

He winced. "Erm, Ruby and I were talking, and well. . .she was wondering—I mean—we were wondering—oh, where do you really go to every night, Margo?"

A sinking feeling erupted in my chest. I closed my eyes painfully and sighed. I didn't even have the energy to feel angry anymore. "Let me guess — Harry and Ron told you."

"No, actually. You left this lying around." Ruby said, causing me to open my eyes in surprise and look at her. She handed me familiar note and the sinking in my chest grew stronger. How could I have been so careless?

"You tell us you go to the library yet I've seen you walk the opposite direction. And when I asked Madam Pince if you dropped by, she said no. You know, you really should be smarter—"