why can't i...? // 20

~ Tobio Kageyama ~

I noticed her from the moment she burst into the gym. Everyone noticed her. How could they not? She was radiant like the sun; I found myself just watching as she searched the gym looking confused. Even as I tried to focus on warming up, I still glanced at her every time I bounced the ball. Her energy was so strong that I sent my next serve straight towards her on accident. My stomach twisted as she received the serve with a split second reaction. She was cool. As far as girls in our region, she was uncommon; uncommon hair, uncommon body structure, uncommon height... just where was she from?

Who is she? I haven't seen her around the school before... Why is she here?

Of course I couldn't control my actions as she asked who served the ball at her. My heart pounded in my chest as she approached me and feigned a mean look on her face, my neck became increasingly hot when a waft of her scent brushed me as she approached. There was an aroma of soft sweetness, like roses and the warmth of the school day. My mind was a jumbled mess when she began smiling and laughing at me about my serve. I could only thank her before Daichi saved me from saying anything else.

She was a girl of many surprises. Her playing style could best be described as... scrappy. It wasn't always fundamental, but it was amazing what she could do with some of the options she was faced with. Even her impromptu setting was... wow.

After that short day, interactions with Toshiko were scarce. I saw her hanging around that dumbass orange all the time. They were in the same class, it made sense. At practices, she would interact with that bastard Tsukishima. Even Tanaka and Sugawara were around her more than me. Hell, she even announced Asahi as her rival until she could dig his spikes. Everyone around me was forming a place with her. So...

Why can't I get close to her like them...?

The day I overheard her talking to Hinata during lunch, when I ended up eavesdropping by the vending machine about her team taking a break when she didn't want to stop practicing. I took that as my chance to get closer to her.

xxx

"Coach Ukai. Can I talk to you about something?"

"Ah? What is it? Is it about practice?"

"Well... sort of. It's about golden week." He raised an eyebrow expectantly, waiting for me to continue. "I have a- uh- friend. I guess. Uh- someone on the volleyball team."

"Your team?"

"No! I mean the girl's team. Her name is... Toshiko..." Involuntarily, I could feel my neck warming up and it was climbing towards my cheeks.

"Ah- I think I know which one you're talking about. She's that first year that just joined, right? Takeda was talking about it when we were watching you all practice. What about her, you asking for lady advice or something?" He laughed as his statement made me choke on my own spit. It took a few seconds to recover, however the color in my face was now stained for a while.

"No! It not- not like that!" I took a deep breath to compose myself. "Her team captain has decided to take a break because of golden week. But Toshiko wishes to continue practicing. She takes her skill advancement seriously. I... was hoping you'd be willing to allow her to join us for golden week."

"Seriously?? I don't know... not to bash on her or anything but having a girl in our practice...?"

"She would be fine, wouldn't she? You and Takeda have seen her practice. She's an exceptional player who only seeks to improve. We can help her, can't we Coach?!" I stared him down seriously, and Ukai just observed my odd behavior before dipping his head and sighing. He looked up with a smirk.